BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,946 Posts
very crude things and not very kind to the engine better off remapping...

·
Registered
140 Posts
I had one fitted to a renault megane 1.9dci a few years ago, I turned it upto number 9 on the box, ended up damaging the injectors....................keep away from them!!

·
Registered
275 Posts
They are cheap resistors and the like that fool the ECU into providing more fuel = power, but they usually cause more harm as they upset the running with poor fuelling and risk damaging the ECU I would have thought.

Cheap for a reason pal.....

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
What is it with people lately with all this tuning box crap. Trying to make your bmws faster with cheap crappy parts! If you can't afford to do it right then you shouldn't do it at all. It will cost in the long run.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is it with people lately with all this tuning box crap. Trying to make your bmws faster with cheap crappy parts! If you can't afford to do it right then you shouldn't do it at all. It will cost in the long run.

I don't think there is any need for the hostility. It's not a case of not being able to afford a remap! I was curious to know anyone's opinions who have tried them because they are removable and interchangeable... In other words, if you sell your car you can remove it and have it remapped to work with any other car or sell it on... If you didn't actually have anything constructive to say then you shouldn't have said anything at all in stead of blurting out random judgemental abuse! In future only comment on conversations if you have had experience with the topic of the post. Otherwise.... Keep it shut!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
now hang on. you want to know about tuning boxes, why? why not about remapping? its because you want a cheap option. the internet is full of advice on tuning boxes and unlike a remap when you crash the box is there for all to see. most remaps will not be seen by insurers as they are hiding in the ecu, and unless some body is suspected of having 1 it will not be searched for. as for hostilities, your the one mouthing off! I stated they are crap and that's a fact. they do noting but trick the car into throwing loads of fuel in and not setting the car up to safely run big power as per a remap. If you had bothered to read the forum lately you would have seen 3 posts before yours all asking the same question. By all means get your self a tuning box if that's what you want. just don't moan when it isn't all its cracked up to be.

i do now about this subject after all it was you that asked the question, so next time if you don't want a blunt answer to a cut price modification then I suggest you should keep it shut.

I tell you what, seeing as you couldn't be bothered to search the internet I have an article for you. I think it by a member on here. http://www.endtuning.com/dieseltuningboxes.html

·
Registered
140 Posts
Right you 2 stop arguing!!
This subject does seem to of stirred up some strong responses and as for that link you have posted vauxfan there is loads of info about any subject on the internet and not all of it true.
Have you heard of those magnetic fuel saving devices that are being sold on ebay and such sites, now they have testimonials on there websies saying about how much fuel people save............pure fiction as particles of fuel both petrol and diesel dont contain any particles that can be magnetised anyway!!
As I previously said I had one of these boxes fitted to a renault I had a few years ago, my personal opinion is that they will end up doing more harm than good in the long term.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can only presume that you think you know what you are talking about because you keep referring to it as "cheap". The DTUK box I was considering is £439. Your reference to hiding shit from insurance companies is a little ridiculous because one of the reasons I was considering a tuning box was that I didn't want to end up blowing over £400 on a remap that I would lose had I, for example, been rear ended by some dodgy ******* that does things like not tell his insurance company about any modification (no fingers pointed). I was not after a CHEAP alternative, I was after an alternative to an irretrievable ECU remap. The reason I didn't scour the Internet was because I wanted the opinions of fellow BMW drivers whom may have had anything constructive to say about their experiences. So... Get off your high horse and in future ask some questions to the topic poster before you open your mouth and make yourself look a tit because I wasn't looking to but a cheap resister I was looking to buy something that is CLAIMED to be a whole lot more advanced... Hence the request for people's opinions that are the result of EXPERIENCE. That said, thanks to the people who have actually posted with their actual opinions which are derived from their experience I am inclined to steer clear. Now... jog on!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
I can only presume that you think you know what you are talking about because you keep referring to it as "cheap". The DTUK box I was considering is £439. Your reference to hiding shit from insurance companies is a little ridiculous because one of the reasons I was considering a tuning box was that I didn't want to end up blowing over £400 on a remap that I would lose had I, for example, been rear ended by some dodgy ******* that does things like not tell his insurance company about any modification (no fingers pointed). I was not after a CHEAP alternative, I was after an alternative to an irretrievable ECU remap. The reason I didn't scour the Internet was because I wanted the opinions of fellow BMW drivers whom may have had anything constructive to say about their experiences. So... Get off your high horse and in future ask some questions to the topic poster before you open your mouth and make yourself look a tit because I wasn't looking to but a cheap resister I was looking to buy something that is CLAIMED to be a whole lot more advanced... Hence the request for people's opinions that are the result of EXPERIENCE. That said, thanks to the people who have actually posted with their actual opinions which are derived from their experience I am inclined to steer clear. Now... jog on!

:duh:duh

I look like a tit for saying they are a waste of money! and yes any thing can be found on the internet and yes they do start cheap. you asked the question, you got the answer. ecu maps are proven safer power and fuel saver modifications. tuning boxes throw more fuel in by tricking the car to thinking some thing else is happening that isn't that's not good by any means. Jog on. how old are you? do you wear tracksuits by any chance?

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
and I think you should have re read my first post in a more objective light instead of the negative you started gobbing off at. opinions you said. opinion I gave. you decided to take it as a hostility. You could of read it differently but you decided not to.

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Just been laughing at this thread. £400+ on a 'plug in' box!? Total waste of time..

Reactions: vauxfan

·
Registered
140 Posts
The plug in tuning boxes start at about £80, it must have a gold label on for £400!!
Are we all supposed to be jogging on? might be quite convenient if we are all wearing tracksuits...............joking
:)

·
Registered
275 Posts
Crikey, just as well this is a forum. If it was a meet, it would end if a huge fight over tuning boxes and the benefits of Diesel remapping!

·
Premium Member
4,567 Posts
I'm going to put out some facts here instead of just saying 'tuning boxes are chavvy and crap'.

They should rename tuning boxes to 'confusion boxes' as all they do it fool the ECU into thinking it's very cold outside by interrupting temperature signals, the ECU then pumps more fuel into the engine making it run rich all the time - which is why they smoke. This causes a whole host of problems - poor fuel economy, catalytic converter failure, o2 sensor failure, fouled plugs, short oil life, poor running.

The really expensive ones are a little more clever/confusing/damaging as they can fool the ECU into advancing the engine timing too. This gives you a little more low end power, but strips the top end power. Advancing the ignition is bad because is causes - engine knocking, accelerated engine wear, increased exhaust gas temperature which cook the exhaust valves, high emissions, detonation - holes in the face of the pistons, oh and poor running.

Even a proper remap on a naturally aspirated engine with only yield a handful of horsepower more at best. Basically, if you want more power from your engine, you need to;

1. Fit a bigger engine.
2. Look at options for forced induction i.e. turbo, supercharger.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Leave the engine the way they came out of the factory. Remapping/tuning boxes etc all increase engine wear and premature bollocking lol if you wanted more power etc why not sell and buy a bigger engine?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts