BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, recently I have got an e36 323i coupe - I have had it checked over and the only fault found with it was the drivers (right side in the UK) strut tower has "domed" out - see the pictures.

What can be done about this? is this a common fault? Will the strut tower need replacing?

See the the nuts on the tower how they are off kilter when compared to the left hand strut tower.

Left side

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The car feels very tight and drives great, the only thing is is that the suspension squeaks which is why we paid special attention to the the strut towers and noticed this.:thumbsup

Thanks,
Murph!

·
Registered
306 Posts
maybe the top bering plates damaged or accident pot hole has forced it out of shape it should be like Auto part Engine Vehicle Car as your other side

·
Registered
68 Posts
I susspect someone has at some point put it together wrong and dropped it down from the jack, anyway what ever the cause its not going to help. What will help you is I think you can buy 'replacement housings' for repairing rotton ones. I know people have done this on the rears housings. Cheaper might be able to cut and weld from a scrap BMW? Afteral it is a welded in section from a factory. Just a suggestion that might work mind.

Cheers Ben

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks people, what im going to do is get new top mounts, some re-enforcement plates and remove the shock, knock down the deformation , fit the plates and the new top mounts and it should be fine

·
Registered
5 Posts
had this problem with at work with a customers car. it looked just like yours, in his case, he ran over monkjack at high speed. but a nasty pothole would do the same, anyway, we replaced the top mount, knocked down the deformation with a hammer and a piece of wood. worked perfectly afterwards

1 - 6 of 6 Posts