BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all

I want to have a go at dritfing my 323i.
have been advised against this as apparently i will knacker the diff.:confused
i have no knowledge about this so some advise or pointers would be great.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Make sure you have a limited slipp diff to start with ;)

In addition, you should be fine with the diff, but ensure to change its fluid regularly when you change the engine oil and do the g/box oil at the same time. Our demo 328i with a 'Birds' LSD is just that a demo car. Its runs amazingly sweet and is showing no signs of wear due to being a company demo vehicle for track days and some drift events which my cousin is learning.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
how will i be able to tell if the car has a LSD?
Go to your local Sainsbury's car park, and do some dougnuts. With an LSD the lock diff will allow you to keep the car spinning without any issues. Without a LSD, the car won't do nice smooth dougnuts.

To the best of my knowledge, if the car is standard, a 323i does not come with a LSD as standard, so you would need to source one.

·
Registered
89 Posts
what about a 318 1993? so if i change the engine oil,gearbox an diff oil regularly then i should be ablt to drift round a carpark? or roundabout lol

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
this is all new to me

With regard to sourcing a LSD will i be able to get one for my model or would one from a different model fit ie m3?:confused
The experts will know what will fit, but i thnk you should be able to fit one from the likes of a E36 BMW 328i Sport (which came with a LSD as standard) if you car is an E36 model.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
what about a 318 1993? so if i change the engine oil,gearbox an diff oil regularly then i should be ablt to drift round a carpark? or roundabout lol
No, then your drive train will be in good shape and better protected against failure.

·
Registered
89 Posts
so if i got hold of a 328i LSD and put it in the 318, would i need to use the 328 driveshafts etc...or are they the same fitment?
E36 that is

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
so if i get hold of a 328i LSD and put it in the 318, would i need to use the 328 driveshafts etc...or are they the same fitment?
If you have a 318i, the E36 318is was alos fitted with a LSD (AFAIK) and usually these are direct bolt on units.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you have a 318i, the E36 318is was alos fitted with a LSD (AFAIK) and usually these are direct bolt on units.
the car im gettin will be a 318is 1993 E36 coupe :D so it'll have 1 already ,not that i want to drive badly on roads, its for off road use :D

·
Registered
150 Posts
That it will be, m3 is 3.62, 330d man is 2.28 or 2.81 for auto, if you want the same ratio you'd better be prepared to spend the £££££££

Might not be much more than a 2nd hand M3 diff (£500) but will see what the final bill is when its done incase I have overlooked something

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.