BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I need some advise before I get rinsed please....

BMW E93 320D 2008 with 189k on clock N47 Engine and ooked after very well, I do 700 Miles a week 95% of motorway driving and couple of days ago had the DPF light come on, plugged in my fault reader and it is showing the following,

452a info-filter system
4d4a def system
4a5e glow plug cylinder 2 activation
4a4e glow plug cylinder 3 activation
4a66 power management vehicle electrical system
4d03 exhaust back pressure sensor signal
480a def filter system
4a07 generator communication

I am guessing everything is goosed.. :oops: Any idea what the hell I should do first, and what to look for please all, naturally I do not want this to end up being a money pit with dodgy mechanics....! Basic glow plug test is good on all, slight hunting from cold start which goes away after warm up.

Car is running fine and no limp mode etc.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
BMW 320d E46 - Grey Green, BMW 330d E46 - Mystic Blue
213 Posts
Check if your car is getting up to temp. I found on my dad’s 325d that a faulty thermostat caused the dpf to get blocked as it was not meeting the parameter for a regen. Forcing it to regen with a faulty thermostat will only add more soot to the dpf and will only block it even more.

We found a temporary cure in Wynns DPF cleaner which cleared the dpf fault codes and actually prevented it from coming back for a month. But the only permanent cure was fitting a new thermostat. Once this has been done, there’s been no issues since.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
dpf should go past 300,000 miles ,,as said get temps checked,and get a decent code reader ,that looks generic

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies...

What temp should I be looking for? High 80's Early 90's?

Thanks.

·
Registered
BMW 320d E46 - Grey Green, BMW 330d E46 - Mystic Blue
213 Posts
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies...

What temp should I be looking for? High 80's Early 90's?

Thanks.
Yes mate. Normal temp is around 88-90 degrees. The faulty thermostat we had was stuck at 65-67 degrees even after 40mins of driving.

i believe minimum temperature for a dpf regen is 75 degrees.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi,

Okay, the temptreature i am getting is floating between 88 and 90 all the time...?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

·
Registered
761 Posts
You have a couple of glow plug fault codes and at least one for the dpf. As far as I am aware they can stop the regen taking place. I believe the 480A is a dpf code triggered by the mileage the car has covered. You can reset that code and simply tell the car it’s had a new dpf fitted. Some will argue that glow plug faults don’t stop the regen but the jury is put on that one. You could try clearing the codes while your driving and see if the regen then kicks in. Often you need someone sat clearing the codes whilst you drive at a constant speed of approx 65 mph on a light throttle. I would also throw a bottle of dpf additive into the tank just to help it along.
cheers
Jim

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Js635d,

Thank you for the reply, with all that in mind I am thinking it might be a good idea to put some like DPF cleaner from an aerosol can straight into the DPF somehow, what do you think, if so, can I put it directly from the pipe that connects to the DPF pressure sensor? Some advise on where to insert the pipe through would be great, I can access the DPF sensor pretty easy, not sure using that pipe which is covered with like foil type insulation material is the one to gain access from though?

I thought i might as well do that it won't do any harm...! Until i have to funds to go and get rinsed in a proper garage.... :)

Thanks,

·
Registered
761 Posts
I would try the in tank stuff first. I had all sorts of issues with the dpf on a 635d and spent a small fortune trying to resolve it and the I tank stuff helped quite a bit. If it was me I would resolve the glow plug issues first, then have the dpf 4d4a code reset so the car thinks it’s had a new dpf fitted and then drive it whilst resetting the 480a code until it commences a regen. There is no harm using the spray method you suggested and in most cases it should be sprayed into the dpf from the highest point so it soaks through. The issue is unless you resolve why it is not regening it will simply block up again.
The 4d03 code relates to the pressures in the dpf taking to long to reduce after the car has been switched off. The car measures the pressure for approx 10 seconds after it is switched off against atmospheric pressure and triggers a fault if it does not drop quick enough. Often this is a sensor fault and there are a number of posts if you just google the fault code. I would again check the
pies to the dpf pressure sensor and also poke a small piece of wire down the solid pipe they connect to which leads to the dpf as they can clog up and block giving a false reading.
Finnaly it may be worth buying a diagnostic tool so you can clear the codes yourself after trying different things.
cheers
Jim

1 - 10 of 10 Posts