BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any idea if there is anyone supplying new door skins for an 8-series? I have some corrosion problems at the bottom of my passenger door along the seam and do not want to buy a complete new door. Used doors are in short supply, it would seem, and even if I found one, there is nothing to say it wouldn't have similar problems. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Have the same on both

I'm going to speak to a body shop about what can be done metals repairs wise i.e cut out and replace - but its likely new doors is the long term solution

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
Bottom seam opened wide. All rust removed with sand blasting. Then proper acid base coat. Bottom seam Twisted back together with panel bonding adhesive. Surface paint for edge and door bottom part with border under the door side molding.

·
Registered
91 Posts
i had same problem it is possible to repair most rusty doors, but considering the amount of work involved getting it done properly i think its still cheaper to find a rust free door and have it painted. iv just had my drivers door replaced with a good rust free door from Andy at Bavaria classics, think i paid 140 inc delivery, hope this helps

·
Registered
163 Posts
Perhaps it would be better to have the doors repaired (skillfully and properly as mentioned above) as the used "rust free" door may have rot in the bottom seam waiting to cause issues down the line?

·
Registered
370 Posts
Just reading this thread.
I had small corrosion at the bottom on the seal, where it meets the m tech body kit on both sides of my rear arches.
I guess the water just sits there, plus a tiny bit on the bottom of the drivers door on the inside, and i do mean small.

I really struggled to find anyone to take on the job and guarantee the work.
Finally I found 2 companies, both Old Skool Coach Works companies, use to working on old Aston's, MG's, AC's and alike.
Took it to a place in Essex near Stanstead and they, media blasted, cut out and fabricated the sections.

I have to say the were expensive, but did a very good job.
BMW Near Side.jpg BMW Off side.jpg

·
Registered
5 Posts
door corrosion

I have a question for you chaps who are nearly across the pond to the east from me. I had not heard of door corrosion in the e31 before. I'm pretty new to these cars, and thought by the '90's that BMW would have dipped all steel components of their cars in Zinc dip at least once (visited an Audi factory in the mid-80's, and the entire chassis was dipped twice, except for the sunroof which only went down once).

I have a '74 e9, and those cars are notorious for turning good steel into iron oxide. So, massive protection procedures have been developed to avoid that as much as possible. i didn't expect to have to be quite as careful with the e31.

Now - my question: Have any of you who are experiencing the door corrosion kept your cars stored in a 'dry' garage? Or - have they been kept outside in the rather moist UK climate? Your input will be most helpful to those of us in the eastern US where we have a moderately moist climate. Any guidance you can give me will be shared with the e31 owners over here in the 'Colonies' to the west.

THANK YOU for your input and assistance.

Gary

·
Registered
158 Posts
Sparky67 - I have the exact same problem - could you please give me the details of the company you used to repair the doors?

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts