BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member and want to trade my 2012 318d M Sport Touring for a 430d or 430i M Sport xDrive Gran Coupe - because I really like driving my current BMW (except around pot holes) and want to trade up to the stunning looking Gran Coupe (y)?
But...the Glasgow roads are really bad, full of pot holes and my 318d M Sport really jars when I accidentally hit one. Plus recently had to replace BOTH front shocks!
So I'm looking for a little bit more comfort and a friend has suggested an Audi A5 Sportback which is apparently more comfortable on sh**y roads. Sorry to mention Audi in this forum!!
The thing is I really like the Gran Coupe but I don't want another few years of juddering on Glasgow roads!
Can anyone advise if the comfort mode suspension in the GC is any harder than the A5? And does the xDrive make it harder?
Any advice gratefully accepted!
Cheers.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hello and welcome. I can’t advise on 4GC v A5 comparison unfortunately as I have only driven 1 GC very briefly, and on the Audi side it was an S5, which was pretty stiff.

What I can advise you is that any of the F series xDrive come with SE suspension, no matter if it’s an M sport or not. This is from factory due to reasons which I cannot seem to recall, but it will ride better than you current M sport.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Mr Filipov (y)
By SE suspension do you mean the Eco-Comfort-Sport options you get? I test drove a 4GC recently and it felt great in Comfort mode but I couldn't really aim for any pot holes to check!

·
Registered
200 Posts
M sport cars that are rear wheel drive have lower, stiffer suspension. When you get an xDrive car they come on the higher sitting, softer setup.

Think of this way. You get a non m sport model, say a 318d like yours but in SE spec, so softer suspension setup and just put the m sport kit on it.

Now, an m sport GC will still be on the bigger wheels, but will be on the softer suspension, so there is more give when going over uneven roads, bumps, potholes etc.

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Almost impossible to answer your original question, eventually there's be a pothole to end all suspensions...
Higher profile tyres will withstand shocks better, plenty of rubber to cope with the shock and along the way protect those shocks :)
So don't go for the large wheels and low profile tyres, smaller wheels and lots of high profile rubber!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Suspension is pretty soft and higher on the xdrive, get a bit of body roll when pushing it in the corners. Plan on replacing with Eibach springs soon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks thanatoid and Domotron.

I know it's a leading question as everything I've read points to run flats being a harder ride. But I guess I'm trying to rationalise my decision to go for the 4GC because I prefer it to the A5 ;).

Maybe the better question should have been what spec should I be looking for in a used (2017 or 2018) 4GC 420i or 430i?

I like a sporty drive but I'm now 57 and getting really frustrated with the Glasgow roads which are not great for my current 318d M Sport!

I'm looking around and I'm seeing various optional extras on different cars - eg Driver Comfort Package, Sport Automatic Transmission, 19" rft 704m vs 403m vs 401m (19s mainly on the 430)...etc.

I'm guessing that, if I don't really need xDrive, maybe I should go for no xDrive and 18" rft? Any other advice on what optional extras I should be looking out for as well?

Cheers again :)(y)

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Ah Glasgow, only times I've been there it rained :)
And you get that white stuff..
I'd be tempted with a 430i with 18's and Michelins, non runflat, with auto transmission when you get that 50yds of clear road you can use the power :)
After renewing all round runflats before as they seemed fine, but bit harsh, last time needed to do that I discovered Michelin had started to cover the rear sizes (staggered see) I took the plunge for my fave tyre, am glad I did.
Opt for whatever the decent lights package is, or find on Autotrader, as you'll get the dark quite a bit there!
So xenons, adaptive xenons, or LEDs... Beware as BMW do have nice specced large engined cars, but then put halogen lights in, or no cruise control, options rule!
I quite like the look of the A5, but reading reviews when they talk of the Audi steering not giving as much feedback as others, and usually then referring to a BMW as being the class leader, I think why do people not go for the best?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah Glasgow, only times I've been there it rained :)
And you get that white stuff..
I'd be tempted with a 430i with 18's and Michelins, non runflat, with auto transmission when you get that 50yds of clear road you can use the power :)
After renewing all round runflats before as they seemed fine, but bit harsh, last time needed to do that I discovered Michelin had started to cover the rear sizes (staggered see) I took the plunge for my fave tyre, am glad I did.
Opt for whatever the decent lights package is, or find on Autotrader, as you'll get the dark quite a bit there!
So xenons, adaptive xenons, or LEDs... Beware as BMW do have nice specced large engined cars, but then put halogen lights in, or no cruise control, options rule!
I quite like the look of the A5, but reading reviews when they talk of the Audi steering not giving as much feedback as others, and usually then referring to a BMW as being the class leader, I think why do people not go for the best?
Thanks thanatoid (y)
Yes Glasgow's great but usually wet and windy!
I'll hopefully be in a position to buy my new used 4GC 430i in March. Getting really excited now and sorry for all the questions but keen to get the right car! I'll look out for the lights package as you suggest.
There are very few 430i s with 18" rfts on - most are 19" so I'll keep looking. Something should come up soon hopefully. There are loads of diesel models out there but I mainly do short trips and want to change to petrol. Plus the 430d insurance costs are a bit higher than the 430i.
So I'm starting to get a picture of my new car...430i M Sport, with or without xDrive, 18" rft, a decent lights package, mineral grey, ivory white leather interior, (and maybe...sunroof, HK speakers....). Love it!
Thanks for the advice.(y)

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Heated seats...
When got the Boxster never had had a car with them, then the 535d came along had them, now love them, though does mean one daughter having liked them, when moves to a proper long term car, those are on her tick list :cool:
New or used?
Autotrader login, save some searches, keep an eye on what's available, get so you can spot a good one, if miss one, another, maybe better will come along soon...
If new then the worlds your lobster :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Heated seats...
When got the Boxster never had had a car with them, then the 535d came along had them, now love them, though does mean one daughter having liked them, when moves to a proper long term car, those are on her tick list :cool:
New or used?
Autotrader login, save some searches, keep an eye on what's available, get so you can spot a good one, if miss one, another, maybe better will come along soon...
If new then the worlds your lobster :)
Love lobster but too rich for me I think. The right 430i M Sport is just round the corner...with heated seats?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts