I have just bought a 318ti sport compact year 2000 M44

Will this have a LSD ? I'm thinking it may not as it has traction control

Also how much would I be looking at paying to get a LSD fitted

Any help wud be appreciated :thumbsup

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
It will not have an LSD mate:thumbsup

Changing a diff isn't hard it's the sourcing of one to suit your vehicle that may be a challenge:frown

The compact uses the E30 set up on the rear so I'm guessing you would have to find an E30 LSD. Also, I think the Z3 used the same set up:thumbsup

I'm not sure how the gearing would affect matters:confused

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will not have an LSD mate:thumbsup

Changing a diff isn't hard it's the sourcing of one to suit your vehicle that may be a challenge:frown

The compact uses the E30 set up on the rear so I'm guessing you would have to find an E30 LSD. Also, I think the Z3 used the same set up:thumbsup

I'm not sure how the gearing would affect matters:confused
Thanks man I'm new to this RWD stuff after having a 1.2 corsa b4 this lol

So I'm looking for a E30 LSD

Do u have any idea how much these go for new or second hand ?

·
Registered
68 Posts
the gearing won,t be right and your looking at £200 plus second hand.
your better off enjoying the car as it is, the 318ti has,nt got enough grunt to
warrant an lsd imo

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
I think we need someone to establish what diff you should be looking for. Remember anything is possible:thumbsup

Two factors that matter? Time and Money:frown

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think we need someone to establish what diff you should be looking for. Remember anything is possible:thumbsup

Two factors that matter? Time and Money:frown
Aye well a was just looking into it as fancied taking it down teeside or somewhere 4 a track day :thumbsup

But a think that the costs might owt way the benefits I'll wait to see if anyone has anymore information

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the gearing won,t be right and your looking at £200 plus second hand.
your better off enjoying the car as it is, the 318ti has,nt got enough grunt to
warrant an lsd imo
didnt notice ur post first time round

thanks 4 the info sounds like its more trouble than its worth then I'm not to knowledgable with rear wheel drive cars didnt know it would affect the gearing also

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
The diff in the back of a compact is known as a small case diff(168mm) and if you do a engine swap then the rear diff doesn't last very long, small case diffs(168s) are fitted in 316,318,318is and 320s.

Medium case diffs(188mm) are fitted in 323i, 325i and 328i.

Large case diffs are fitted to most V8s, e46 M3 and the e36 EVO M3

e24, e28, e30 and Z diffs can all be fitted in the compact.(188s)

E28, E30 and Z diffs are best to swap in for better gearing, you can get a 3.46lsd from an e28.(188) the E28 rear mount plate will need to be replaced with a e30 mount plate for the Ti.

E28, E30, All Z3, and the 318ti all have the same designed rear cover, which are interchangeable between themselves.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Also Z3 steering racks are less lock to lock and can be fitted in the e36 as well as the gear shifter assembly which is a shorter throw.

·
Registered
1 Posts
can you just swap the lsd unit in to the original compact diff??
ie: compact casing, compact crown wheel and pinion but with e30 or z3 diff mech bolted in place of the compact one

·
Registered
995 Posts
The Compact diff is a unique unit - it's not an E30 unit, but an E30 iron case with E36 internals. E30 LSD clutch packs are not a straight swap. E36's such as the Compact use smaller diff output flanges (where the inner CV joints bolt to) than the E30, and you cannot fit E30 output flanges into a Compact diff because the retaining circlips are in the wrong place. You would need to fit an E30 diff along with 325i driveshafts (ABS types). You would need a small case E30 diff from a 316/318i/320i and the only ones that have the right ratio are the very early (pre 1985) 320i which is a 3.45. Good luck finding one of those.
If you're using it for track days only though, something like a 3.64 will be much better as the standard 3.38/3.45 are too tall.
316i and 318Ti Compacts all use the small 168 diff. Compacts and E30's use the four bolt mouning where the diff is bolted to the axle beam by four bolts going in from the top.

The next diff up is the Type 188, the medium case. The ideal diff is a 3.64 or 3.73 325i unit plus 325i driveshafts. It will do it, but you'll need to slacken the propshaft spline collar, loosen the two 13mm centre mount bolts and knock the prop inwards by around 10-15mm because the 188 diff is longer. You'll find 188 four bolt mounting diffs on the E28 528i as well but LSD's are rare. Use an E30 325i rear diff cover and 325i output flanges.

E36 Saloon or Coupe diffs do not fit. Z3 ones do but LSD's are practically non existent.

The biggest four bolt diff is the 210 used on E28 535i, M535i and 635CSi's. They will bolt into the rear axle beam but that's as far as it goes. The diffs are so big that there is no room to fit the rear alloy cover. 188 rear covers do not fit, the propshaft would need to be shortened, a custom diff mount made up as well as custom driveshafts and a new bracket on the boot floor. E28/E24 output flanges are massive, and E30 flanges do not fit. Basically, forget it.

A 318Ti doesn't need an LSD. I track mine and it's never needed one - just decent suspension and some 16 inch wheels (which you have on a Sport) plus sticky 225 rubber.

But if you want to go ahead, you need a 3.64/3.74 325i LSD and driveshafts. About £350 for a good LSD and £50 for a pair of shafts with good ABS rings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts