BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The question we always get asked....

Ceramic coatings are typically used on exhaust components to reduce temperatures but, not limited to exhaust systems altogether.
Ceramic coatings are an excellent thermal barrier due to their poor ability to absorb heat. This is why headers/ manifolds are coated to reduce engine bay temperatures.
By retaining the heat within the exhaust gas instead of transferring it through the piping of the vehicle it will offer an increase in power. This occurs because the exhaust gases stay hotter longer which allows them to leave the vehicle at a higher speed. This means a reduction in backpressure and an increase in BHP will result.

·
Registered
42 Posts
hi

I've own a e46 320d 150hp facelift, I would like to know, are there any performance gain if the exhaust manifold and turbo ceramic coated?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi

I've own a e46 320d 150hp facelift, I would like to know, are there any performance gain if the exhaust manifold and turbo ceramic coated?
Hi,

The science behind ceramic coating your manifold applies in the same way and will show benefits, from, increasing the temperature of the exhaust gasses and therefore reducing the under bonnet temperatures. This then adds another benefit of other under bonnet components being able to work more efficiently. The Turbo coating allows it to spin more freely and quickly, therefore offering better effieciency.

I hope this helps

Graeme

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi,

The science behind ceramic coating your manifold applies in the same way and will show benefits, from, increasing the temperature of the exhaust gasses and therefore reducing the under bonnet temperatures. This then adds another benefit of other under bonnet components being able to work more efficiently. The Turbo coating allows it to spin more freely and quickly, therefore offering better effieciency.

I hope this helps

Graeme
Well said, I might give it a go soon. Thank you

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Graeme,

what would it typically cost to have a 6-Cylinder (2x3 Into a single collector for each bank of 3) Stainless steel manifolds ceramic coated?

Also, are there any advantages of ceramic coating as opposed to wrapping with heat wrap, other than the nuisance of having to wrap the manifolds?

regards,

Humour

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Graeme,

what would it typically cost to have a 6-Cylinder (2x3 Into a single collector for each bank of 3) Stainless steel manifolds ceramic coated?

Also, are there any advantages of ceramic coating as opposed to wrapping with heat wrap, other than the nuisance of having to wrap the manifolds?

regards,

Humour
Hi Humour,

Thank you for your message.

The cost would be approximately £300 + VAT for the higher temperature coating option (dependent upon specific detail)

There are additional benefits over using heat wrap, such as the increased corrosion resistance, longevity and durability of the coating.

If you would like any specific detail, I am happy to go into more detail

Thanks

Graeme

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Graeme,

thanks for the feedback.

With stainless manifolds I'm not convinced that the corrosion resistance argument adds up, but having previously wrapped manifolds myself I would tend to believe that the durability argument has some legs.

Presumably the coating is applied all over as opposed to just inside or just outside given your corrosion resistance statement?

For now I do not require further detail, other than the above question since we are quite far away from modifying the exhaust system on our track car, despite just taking receipt of a pair of stainless manifolds for that purpose.

The list of works is currently quite long and the exhaust system is further down the list at this stage. As is the case with most people budget is limited, therefore purchasing decisions are all carefully researched and considered long before money parts from pocket, hence my queries at this time.

I will however get in touch when we get to it if we decide to go the ceramic coating route, thank you.

Regards, Humour.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Humour,

As per your comment, We do offer a variety of coatings, both internal and external, depending upon the needs/ requirements.

I appreciate the research you are undertaking, if you require any data or information, please feel free to contact me.

Thanks

Graeme

1 - 8 of 8 Posts