BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am currently study for a HNC and trying to do my final year project ....

does anybody know if i got a regular north/south bar magnet and a C shape of iron that magnet fited into the C of

would that make the magnet stronger?
so it would stick on something better then to remove it you just pull the magnet from the C and it falls off

If that makes sense lol

Thank you to anybody who reads and understand and replys,

thanks

Sam

·
Registered
5,469 Posts
from what i recall of magnets the only way to strengthen them would be to run a current through it and turn it into an electro magnet.
the unmagnetised c shaped bit of iron needs a coil round it iirc

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ok, thank you for your replys,

Does anybody know how magnetic base (with the leaver) works, for a dial gauge etc.

it is two blocks of iron with a non magnetic block between them both, a cylinder is drilled through the middle and a round bar magnet is placed in the core

when the leave is turned the round bar rotates and alligns the north and south poles with the two blocks of iron, and makes the magnetic base stick (giving it more magnetism)

but there is anouther type of magnetic base, with the push button but i dont know how it works, and i thought it maybe how i suggested above, Any one have any ideas?

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ive had a look around and i think it works on the same principle as the lever type but replacing the lever with a electronically powered solenoid.
its a button that you push in and it slides something inside, it dosent feel elctrical and there are no batteries in it at all

http://www.cromwell.co.uk/KEN3332220K

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hahaha eeeeeasy....:shifty::shifty:
lol i dont really understand magnets and it would appear that nobody does, quickly googling magnetism you get hundread of bs equations that are meaning less

Even my uni lecturer looked at me blankey when i asked today, so after 10 mins of drawing on the board he said i dont know lol

·
Platinum BFuk Member
2,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 18 of 18 Posts