BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having issues with my dpf now for nearly a year. It regens too frequently. I have had endless diagnostics done, took it off and had it ultra sonic cleaned and flow tested, new turbo fitted etc. It has never blocked but regens every forty to fifty miles. I have however noticed if I throw a bottle of dpf additive in the tank the regens stretch out to approx 130 miles. I know dpf's contain precious metals to make them work and as such I was wondering if has simply worn out and become inefficient. It has reached its service life point and wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this?
Cheers
Jim

·
Vendor
3,996 Posts
Ive proven bmw dpf will last over 350,000 on many BMWs so far
And never needed to change one even if they have blocked up

The only time I would advise to change it if it's melted inside

BW chiptune
Tuning BMWs since 1991
Dyno Dynamics rolling road
BW autorepairs
Over 30 year repairing BMWs
New and fully refurbished BMW Ecus and Cas units
BMW Keys made and cut same day
Correction of Engine ECUs Cas and key fitted to your car (when a key set from a different car has been used)
Digital Service Records rest and corrections in idrive screen on 2013 onwards cars
DPF repairs fixed without the need of removal

0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Hayes
UB3 1BB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
269 Posts
To my knowledge there's nothing 'precious' in them, that's the catalyst, which is well, a catalyst.

If you've got some tools and a pressure washer I'd be removing the DPF, tipping a bottle of your favourite washing up liquid in it (allegedly ) Fairy Platinum works well, then giving it what for with your pressure washer for fifteen minutes in the reverse direction.

These are only, ultimately, a filter. They can block and no 'mechanic in a can' type product will regenerate them, you either unblock the thing or replace it with a new'un. I can tell you which is considerably cheaper.

They really have a very, very, very hard life, I doubt there is much you'll do with a pressure washer it can't handle!

·
Vendor
3,996 Posts
Bmw dpfs contain precious metals such as platinum and palladium

This is the main reason why dpf removers offer or will advise you they can remove your dpf as they will sell off the guts they cut out of the dpf

We get calls every day from people who drive around the uk buying dpf dust/guts who offer cash to buy them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
5,833 Posts
Maybe also the reason that "fairy platinum" works so well to clean the dpf which does indeed have "platinum" and palladium in it lol lol.

·
5,833 Posts
When I removed my front cat from my e46 320d,i got 90 euro for it from a scrap collector.

·
5,833 Posts
The older cars dpf was, I believe, a serviceable item(as in the older e60 around 100k life) as opposed to the more modern e60 dpf which is a lifetime unit providing regens take place when they should.

·
Registered
285 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
The DPF life is dictated by Ash Loading capacity.

When regeneration occurs (either passively or actively) soot caught by the filter is burnt off by the higher exhaust temps, and a small amount of ash is left in the DPF.

Over time the ash builds up.

In the "fit for life DPF" the idea is that ash loading doesn't get high enough to raise the back pressure too far in what they deem to be vehicle life.

However, if a dpf is treated badly, and is repeatedly blocked by soot then fixed by forced regen etc.. the ash loading gets higher quicker, and can lead to blocked DPF that cannot be cleared without forced cleaning or sucking out of the ash.

We used to specify very large DPF on industrial engines, which were designed for a life of 20,000 hours engine life, and to be able to tolerate ash loading to that life.

Andy

·
Administrator
11,431 Posts
Get ready for PPF...there coming!!! BMW now fitting them to the new 230i

If you did short journeys you were advised to buy a petrol due to blocking the DPF, now there introducing PPF to petrols

I reckon we will be told to buy hybrids now, is it all a scam?

RealOEM.com - Online BMW Parts Catalog
This s not going to be a problem for petrol cas unlike the DPF on diesel cars

"Due to the much higher exhaust out temperatures of petrol engines (550-750°C) compared with those of modern diesel engines (250-450°C).

Petrol exhaust gasses also contain VERY LITTLE OXYGEN when running stoichiometrically (the amount of oxygen present is the exact amount needed for complete combustion of fuel) and under load.

Diesels burn leaner and have more available oxygen in the exhaust mixture.

For particulates to burn off during a DPF/GPF regen, a surplus of oxygen in the exhaust mixture is needed (so the catalysed oxidation/combustion of the particulates can occur) along with a high temperature in the particulate filter itself (to overcome the activation energy for this combustion reaction).

This means that for a DPF regen, high load is needed to give the required exhaust temperatures for oxidation of the particulate to occur.
Whereas for petrol engines, the exhaust is almost always hot enough for regeneration to occur thus all that is required for regen is a high enough oxygen content in the exhaust mixture for oxidation of the particulate which happens during overrun or low load scenarios. Therefore, GDF's do not require an active regeneration cycle like DPF's as simple everyday driving will do!

Also, particulates from petrol engines are much faster to oxidise than their diesel particulate counterparts. this means that there is much less 'soot loading' in a GPF when compared to a DPF, this means that GPF's are much smaller (GPF volume ? Engine displacement) than DPF's (DPF volume ? Engine displacement)."

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for the responses but unfortunately I am still non the wiser. The difference in gaps betweenthe regens on my car is massive if put the additive in the tank and I am not sure why. The dpf has never blocked and just regens to often with no apparent reason. Have had enough of throwing money this issue so will just use the additive and see how long it makes a difference.
Cheers
Jim

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thank you for the responses but unfortunately I am still non the wiser. The difference in gaps betweenthe regens on my car is massive if put the additive in the tank and I am not sure why. The dpf has never blocked and just regens to often with no apparent reason. Have had enough of throwing money this issue so will just use the additive and see how long it makes a difference.
Cheers
Jim
It would probably be easier and far cheaper for you to get it removed from the car and have it remapped off, it won’t affect emissions if it’s remapped correctly, hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts