BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Enquied about an oil change at BMW main dealership and was wondering if anyone knows wether they use an oil extractor instead of traditional sump plug method. Sould have asked them but forgot at time and aren' sure i'll get an honest answer anyway!

Reason I as is that my sump plug is a bit dodgy as ive sealed it with gasket sealant:)

On a plus side i managed to get the oil service cost down from £219 to £139 which is still bloody expensive. Told them i wanted the oil (7.5l) for a reasonable price as they originally wanted £120 and they said they'd do it for £60 and knock an extra £20 off as well, so not a bad result.

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
My local indy uses the sump method...

How come your sump plug is dodgy ? Surely a new copper washer will fix it ? And that should get changed when doing an oil service anyway.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, it'll only tighten up a bit then spins, then tightens then spins etc. I got it tighened up to a tight point with new washers but it still dripped a few drips per hour. As a fix i smeared the plug head and surrounding sump with gasket seal and its worked a treat, still no drips after 2 months.......but it looks a dog!

Ideally sump/plug needs fixing but had heard BMW dealerships use top method of extraction which would suit me

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
No, it'll only tighten up a bit then spins, then tightens then spins etc. I got it tighened up to a tight point with new washers but it still dripped a few drips per hour. As a fix i smeared the plug head and surrounding sump with gasket seal and its worked a treat, still no drips after 2 months.......but it looks a dog!

Ideally sump/plug needs fixing but had heard BMW dealerships use top method of extraction which would suit me
You can ask them about extraction, but I would be surprised if BMW used this method !

And have you tried using more than 1 washer at a time ? Maybe 2 or 3 would do it ?

Failing that, I suspect it'll have to be a new sump - Or continue as you are with the sealant !

·
Registered
378 Posts

try running a tap down the treads and fitting a new plug.
If that doesn't work fit two washers so the plug thread bottoms out at a dirrerent place.
It may leak with two on but it's worth a try as if the plugs not tightened properly you run the risk of the plug falling out whilst driving and you can kiss the engine bye bye.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah its got 2 washers on, one copper onefibre whic helped but still let a really small amount drip over time. There's no chnce of it falling out, i think you'd agree if you saw it :hihi
Can get it helicoiled for £50 but then there's new oil etc so cost mounts up.

This all stems from me trying to do an intermediate oil change myself and Knacking it up!

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I dont think they do as i wanted my diff oil changed but theyy said it wasbt possible as there was only a fill plug... either they dont have a suction pump or their stupid! :hihi
Sad state of affairs when a BMW dealership doesn't have an extraction pump isn't it?! :lol

·
Registered
753 Posts
I dont think they do as i wanted my diff oil changed but theyy said it wasbt possible as there was only a fill plug... either they dont have a suction pump or their stupid! :hihi
Unless e46 compacts are completely different diff wise, ive changed the diff and gearbox oil on all the e46's ive owned as they have drain plugs :shifty:. Either they didnt want to do or as you said, complete tools :hihi
I was told new vw's have to be sucked out through the dipstick as they don't have a sump plug! If i owned one i know what i would be doing with a drill and a tap....

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Hmm... I always use a suction pump for changing the oil. Much less hassle (and zero chance of ending up with a stripped plug). The only VW I did recently (a Polo) had such a small dipstick tube that I had to use the sump plug.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Changing diff oil? Easy...Ben, get your S&M tricks out and see if you can find one of these to use :hihi

As for engine oil, some dealers do and some dealers don't. Those that do use something like this:

·
Registered
488 Posts
Enquied about an oil change at BMW main dealership and was wondering if anyone knows wether they use an oil extractor instead of traditional sump plug method. Sould have asked them but forgot at time and aren' sure i'll get an honest answer anyway!

Reason I as is that my sump plug is a bit dodgy as ive sealed it with gasket sealant:)

On a plus side i managed to get the oil service cost down from £219 to £139 which is still bloody expensive. Told them i wanted the oil (7.5l) for a reasonable price as they originally wanted £120 and they said they'd do it for £60 and knock an extra £20 off as well, so not a bad result.
Mate...get another sump even if its second hand from ebay or from a salvage yard. Get a new gasket tho but defo get it sorted...last thing u want to do is dump yr oil all over the road. Not good for yr car or other road users...especially bikers like me!!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Mate...get another sump even if its second hand from ebay or from a salvage yard. Get a new gasket tho but defo get it sorted...last thing u want to do is dump yr oil all over the road. Not good for yr car or other road users...especially bikers like me!!
Timsert or just get it helicoiled in situ.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I wouldn't helicoil it in situ. Where is the swarf going to end up? Have you tried a new sump plug before panic sets in? Failing that, take the sump off and repair/replace.

·
Registered
6,989 Posts
I wouldn't helicoil it in situ. Where is the swarf going to end up? Have you tried a new sump plug before panic sets in? Failing that, take the sump off and repair/replace.
I heli coiled mine in situ.... I used the oil that I drained out to flush any swarf that might of gone up into the sump out afterwards...

Still running;)

·
BFuk Resident Design Guru
2,834 Posts
Unless e46 compacts are completely different diff wise, ive changed the diff and gearbox oil on all the e46's ive owned as they have drain plugs :shifty:. Either they didnt want to do or as you said, complete tools :hihi
I was told new vw's have to be sucked out through the dipstick as they don't have a sump plug! If i owned one i know what i would be doing with a drill and a tap....
yep the compact diff has no drain! How daft!?

Thanks neal... i think ralph has mine.. :hihi

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Arranged today to get it helicoiled in situ at local motor engineers. Engineer says he'll use lots of grease to hold onto and remove swarfe then run 2 litres or so of fresh oil through to remove any remaining swarfe. He says there'll be no residue left. Sounds good to me. For £35 its a bargain.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts