BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello people

can anyone confirm if these models have a LSD as standard - or is it an option on all e36's

I have a 318iS and want to put a LSD , so looking for possible LSD donar

any one help

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
As mentioned, only the E36 328i 'sport' model came fitted with a LSD (quite a few sat at BMW breakers so contact them).

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
fwiw on our company demo car, we got one from Birds (BMW tuners) fitted, Quaife diff IIRC, cost about £1150 all in. If you are not to fussed about the cost then give them a call.

I have to admit, the one that Birds fitted is by far a very sublime diff to many diffs I have experienced in a range of RWD cars.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
I could be wrong, but I though only pre-ASC 328i sports came with a LSD?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I could be wrong, but I though only pre-ASC 328i sports came with a LSD?
All the 328i Sport's came with it.

One of our customers has a 98 model bright red 328i Sport with the ASC and LSD.

·
Registered
89 Posts
so finding a LSD from a 328 sport will fit in to a 318is with the correct mounts?does this mean with a LSD you can now go sideways round roundabouts? or a track?

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Sorry fella, they didn't.

It was standard on the early sports. The post 1996 sports got ASC and no LSD.

Ian
What about as an option then? as our customers one has both!

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
so finding a LSD from a 328 sport will fit in to a 318is with the correct mounts?does this mean with a LSD you can now go sideways round roundabouts? or a track?
You car get any car sideways (within reason), be it on the road or track. It's just a case of driver skill (or sometimes lack of it...).

Also, it wouldn't surprise me if there are some 328i sports with ASC and a LSD - it may have been some overlap at the factory?!? Plus it's an often talked about mod, could have easily been fitted after-market.

·
Registered
454 Posts
as stated above the 328 has a medium case diff and your car has a small case diff so to make it fit you would need all the drive shafts and hub as well and the worst part the ratio is completly wrong a 318 would loose all aceleration with a diff from a 328

you need to find a small case LSD - rear as hens teeth

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
so only e36's 328is sports model has a LSD as standard.....also is a straight swap to put on my 318iS, if anyone can help to source one let me know thanks
No, pre-ASC 328i have an LSD as standard, some later cars may have (either as a mod/upgrade or whatever). An e36 (and the rest..) M3 has a LSD as standard, and they'll have a closer final-drive ratio - but as previously stated, you'll have to but hubs, shafts etc to get it fitted.

Why do you want an LSD? The 318 hardly has an abundance of power...

·
Banned
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
its a 318iS not a 318 , so thats why the 318iS is known as the BABY M3 - AND THATS GOT POWER MATEY

NE WAY
MMmmm does not look good - so looks like I will have to source a 318iS LSD instead , a bit harder to find- anyone help with a e36 318iS LSD thanks

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
its a 318iS not a 318 , so thats why the 318iS is known as the BABY M3 - AND THATS GOT POWER MATEY

NE WAY
MMmmm does not look good - so looks like I will have to source a 318iS LSD instead , a bit harder to find- anyone help with a e36 318iS LSD thanks

318i-------------1990-98----------1796/4/M43---117-----11.3-------123
318iS-----------1991-95-----------1796/4/M42---140-----10.2-------132

Ok, so 23 bhp more than a 318... but at over 10 seconds to 60 I'd hardly call it a Baby M3.

So do you want a LSD because you want better traction out of corners or for drifting or something else?

Reactions: awais318iS
1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.