BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm going to be fitting a screen into my dashboard soon so wanted to move the A/C panel down to where the sunglasses holder is - then once I get rid of my radio I'll be left with a large enough area to put a 7" screen in.

Below is the before & after pics

Appologies for the quality of the pics - I work away from home so only had my phone to take the pics (realised on the last pic it was set to 1M pixel also:D

I purchased an Air Conditioning relocation unit from ebay at a cost of £30 off ebay
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....h=012&category=10374&_trksid=p1742.m153.l1262

these come in two flavours - the measurements of the switch panel can be 16mm or 18mm - the guy I bought mine off sold both types. I got the 18mm one as that was what my ASC switch is.
This unit allows the sunglasses holder to be removed and then the AC Panel can be moved into that space.

Firstly pull out the gear lever gaitor and remove the screws as shown below

Then remove the sunglasses holder just by opening the door of it then pull out. this will then allow access to the upper two screws of the holder.

You can then pull the unit out which holds the ashtray, ASC button and sunglasses holder.
Pop the ASC button out and disconnect the cable from the back of it.

Remove the cables for the 12v cigarette lighter and then pop the socket out.

Insert the ASC button in the AC relocation unit and connect the cable. Insert the cigarette lighter socket and connect cables. Leave the unit dangling for now.

Remove the dash trim either side of the radio to allow access to the two screws then unscrew to remove the radio - then remove it.

Remove the AC panel by prising it away - there are two slots about the size of a flat screwdriver head.

Disconnect the cables from the back of the unit.

Pass the cables through the new relocation unit and then put the unit in place.

Screw the unit in place.

Reconnect the cables for AC panel.

Push the AC panel into it's new home - it just clicks in. Then reinsert the ashtray.

The end result:

The only tool used in the job:

My trustly ol' Stan.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
awesome writeup...

got a link for the relocation panel?
I've added the link to the guy I bought it off on ebay - I can thoroughly recommend him as this is the second part I've bought off him on ebay - both items were well received - he sells quite a lot of BMW bits.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Good work! :thumbsup

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
fzbucks that's cool what you've done.

Now you've moved the AC controls what are you putting in to the gap provided? TV/SAT nav? WHat sort of price is it for one of these head units?

Cheers
I cleared the space ready for a touch screen (connected to a car PC in the boot) that have been installing over the last couple of days - it's nearly there - everything is installed and working - just need some sort of bezel now.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've put the car back together now so looks better than the last pic - will put a pic up when I get chance to take one.

Not running any head unit at all, my setup is:

PC running windows XP in the boot, soundcard connected to Blaupunkt 800W amp. The screen in the dash is an 8" touchscreen - I'm running centrafuse as it provides a driver friendly interface.

I also put some cheap component speakers in the rear and put the tweeters in the C pillars whilst I had everything stripped out.

The front speakers have been upgraded previously.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rough guide to Prices:

£200ish for 8" touch screen
£250ish for PC case, motherboard, hard drive, ram and car PSU
£80 for Amp
£30 for AC panel relocation
£200ish for Focal speakers
extra for amp wiring kit, cables, £10 for a bmw to iso harness (to avoid cutting wires) bought a crimping kit to do a proper job and already had a gas soldering iron.

Still got some more bits to buy and install but it's coming a long great - only thing I miss is the steering wheel controls and radio but I'll address the radio issue through the PC (either a tuner or online radio etc)

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Centrafuse is basically a front end software which has loads of applications such as media players of various sorts, web browser, navigation, audio mixer etc - it provides large buttons that are easy to use whilst driving (rather than trying to press little button in windows with a fat finger whilst keeping one eye on the road)

these guys explain it better:

www.centrafuse.com

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The Story So Far

Just need to make a bezel now to finish it off.

Had to dig a trench into the dash to allow the bottom of the screen to fit in so that I could fit the dash trim back on. I can still return the car to stock though as the trench is behind where the AC panel would go.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
A peach of a post fzbucks :thumbsup
I've seen sooooooooo many posts not photo'ed or concluded, its
becoming a pet hate of mine and I'm a relative newbie:eek
but yours is so easy to follow with the pictorial, I'm looking forward to the final fit
and of course final pics :applause

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A peach of a post fzbucks :thumbsup
I've seen sooooooooo many posts not photo'ed or concluded, its
becoming a pet hate of mine and I'm a relative newbie:eek
but yours is so easy to follow with the pictorial, I'm looking forward to the final fit
and of course final pics :applause
Thanks - I'm looking forward to the finale too - just need to learn how to fibreglass now:frown

I was going to do a how too on installing the car pc too but I got carried away and starting pulling all the panels out - learning myself as I went so didn't remember to take some pictures of the process:silly

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Thanks - I'm looking forward to the finale too - just need to learn how to fibreglass now:frown

I was going to do a how too on installing the car pc too but I got carried away and starting pulling all the panels out - learning myself as I went so didn't remember to take some pictures of the process:silly
I'll bell David Bailey(age check) and see if he's got a free weekend?
But seriously its so easy to follow.
thanks fzbucks :applause

1 - 20 of 87 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.