BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been told by main dealer I need a new DPF on my 16 plate, 57000 mile 520D because both DPF brackets and the flange rim have fractured. BMW say there is no evidence to suggest any structual defect which is BMW speak for "not our fault". So I had to pay over £2000 to get it replaced.

BMW are implying I must have had a rear-end shunt. I haven't.

Any idea out there as to what could have caused the brackets to break?

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Have you got the old one back so you can get a picture of the failure point?
seems an odd fault to me and only possible reason I could see both brackets breaking is from a whack to rear of exhaust. Have you had the car since new?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Have you got the old one back so you can get a picture of the failure point?
seems an odd fault to me and only possible reason I could see both brackets breaking is from a whack to rear of exhaust. Have you had the car since new?
Thanks for replying

Being of a trusting disposition, I did not think to ask for the old one back. I've owned the car from new.. The garage kept asking me if I had ever had a rear-end shunt and I kept repeating NO. There is no evidence I can see that the tail pipes have ever been been whacked.
The car was in primarily for it's MOT & it was only as a side issue that I mentioned there was a rattling noise form the engine when ticking over. Amazingly the car passed its MOT and a BMW 'Health Check' before they looked into the rattle and discovered the fractured brackets. How could they miss that?. I nearly did not bother to mention the rattling noise, it's a diesel they are all noisy. Good job I did, otherwise the broken DPF would not have been discovered & I would now be driving around blissfully unaware of the impending disaster. Garages eh !!!

·
Registered
2,110 Posts
Probably missed because they have no need to remove undertray for MOT and health check.
Very odd then only thing I can think is a bracket has corroded and fractured putting more strain on the other one?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts