BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I have a '56' plate E65 7series, with CD changer which supports mp3's stored on CD's. I want to playback mp3's from a massive storage device, either a USB stick or I'll get an iPod Classic 160Gb. I'd like to browse on I-Drive by folder, or by artist/album (not bothered which, as my music's stored both ways).

I'm looking at my options:
1 BMW OEM USB socket (been told there's a 16Gb limit on sticks)
2 Denison 500 (been told the interface isn't great)
3 mObridge (been told that the interface is better, but only works with iPod and not USB sticks)

Can anyone shed any light/input on which of these solutions would be the best and why?

Cheers,

(PS - My car already has an aux input 3.5mm socket, and I don't want to use that really. I'd prefer having the folders/files on screen as is currently the case for mp3's on the CD changer CD's, but just have a massive hard drive/usb/ipod thing which has ALL my stuff on.)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just ordered the Dension 500 for my 2005/6 750i. I chose it because of its ability to co exist with the CDC, which the OEM interface cannot.

I don't store any music on my iPhone; just use it for streaming (Audiogalaxy) and Spotify.

Will post my results when done (unit on its way to me from Germany).

·
Registered
154 Posts
I have the Ðension Gateway 500 in my e63, I can't imagine why anyone would say the interface is not great. It does exactly what you want:
- full control via iDrive
- supports USB, iPod/iPhone & AUX together
- allows large USB storage, they even provide an Indexer Utility to speed up the accessing of songs

A bit more detail on it:
- It retrofits (at least for me it did) as a CD changer. You select the CD changer, MP3 5 & all your menus appear. It defaults to this when you select CD Changer in further uses
- For iPod you can select by song, artist, album, genre, playlist
- For USB you can select by song, artist, album, file (folder)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Almost there...

Okay, I just completed the install of the Gateway 500 in my 2005 750i. It seems to work as advertised except for the fact I do not get the title of the currently playing track scrolling at the bottom of the iDrive display.

As I have the facelift car I expected this to work as I have seen from videos posted of installs in cars similar to mine.

As you can see on the video, a few seconds after I have started playback of a track after browsing by way of the iDrive, all the track names on the list are replaced with "ERROR". If I hit "back" the list is restored but I still do not get the track info displayed.

I have updated the gateway with the latest firmware - at least I think so, it seemed to read from the flash drive I connected but the file that is supposed to be placed on the drive indicating a successful update never appeared.

This is not a deal breaker for me as I will not be playing music stored on the iPhone - I stream music to it instead in iPhone UI mode - but I do plan on connecting a hard drive to the USB port in which case I would like to be able to see the "now playing" information.

Any ideas? I have contacted Denison support but so far no response.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Responding to my own post. :)

I think I know what my problem is: my car is a very early FL (built 28-Feb-2005) and I suspect it isn't coded for MP3 tag support even though the changer does play MP3 CDs. When looking closer I discovered that it is scrolling the FILE NAME, not ID3 tag based information, on the display.

So it is likely the tags are picked up by the Denison and sent over the MOST, but the car doesn't know what to do with it.

Obviously the car is coded for the CD changer, but maybe not an MP3 capable one? Can this be changed relatively easily? I am sure having the dealer do it will be an expensive proposition...

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts