BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm fitting a dashcam, to sit below the rear view mirror. I would like to wire it up to the switched 12V circuit, coming off the ignition switch. I'm hoping to be able to pick up such a connector in the roof lining, or under the roof lights / electric sunroof, as this is the shortest route. Does anyone know if this is possible?

I want the switched 12V, rather than the permanent one, so that the cam will switch off when I turn off the ignition, so the permanent sunroof supply is no good. Failing this, I'll have to run a wire down to the fuse box to pick it up down there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Pete

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
If you have an electric sunroof doesn't that has a switched live, try dangling a small test light from it, as you close up surely it'll shutdown if not immediate on locking maybe a while later....

I've tried locking the doors and having a kip on occasions, even if radio on it'll close down after a time, but you can also hear other things happening

·
Registered
4,093 Posts
Oh I have Innovv C3's front and rear, still hooked into the ciggy lighters front/rear, one day may hardwire, have the piggy back fuses... ho hum.....

·
Registered
231 Posts
Use the windows fuse if hardwiring. That's what I have done on mine and 3 other cars

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys. I've solved it now.
I sprung the roof panel for the electric sunroof and prodded around with a multimeter. I found an ignition circuit on the airbag warning light connector. It stays on all the time the ignition is on.
I bought a suitable cigar-lighter USB adapter (2.4A) and wired that up to the wire I found. There's loads of spare room up above the roof lining, so I insulated it and wedged it up there. A short USB lead now pokes out of the roof lining and drops down to the satnav / dashcam device.
It works well. It looks very neat and has a high WAF (Wife Approval Factor).
Cheers,

Pete

·
Super Moderator
3,088 Posts
So did you use red/grey supply for panoramic roof?

One alternative would have been switched supply for rain/light sensor, purple/white wire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts