BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dash is half and half at the moment, which appears to be standard across the older bmws.

I wonder if anyone could point me in the direction of a good vinyl paint that I would be able to use on the dash/centre console/door cards/etc...

It will then be covered with clear lacquer to protect it, and hopefully add some shine, or even take away some shine.

Ive come across DupliColor, however this seems to be available in the US and doesnt have a great reputation, the gloss black is more of a flat black.

All suggestions welcome.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
My dash is half and half at the moment, which appears to be standard across the older bmws.

I wonder if anyone could point me in the direction of a good vinyl paint that I would be able to use on the dash/centre console/door cards/etc...

It will then be covered with clear lacquer to protect it, and hopefully add some shine, or even take away some shine.

Ive come across DupliColor, however this seems to be available in the US and doesnt have a great reputation, the gloss black is more of a flat black.

All suggestions welcome.

You need a good bodywork garage that knows what they're doing to get good results:thumbsup

I could probably find out the exact procedure for you as my whole dash, door cards, and rear shelf are painted to the same finish as the body itself.

Click on my user name and browse my albums to see pictures:thumbsup

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you could find out the procedure that would be great.

Worked as a vehicle body repair technician for 18 months, so got all the equipment and experience for spraying the exterior of cars. The interior can't be much different surely?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Used to made PVC look like leather in luxury cars and also used to aid in cushioning impacts, etc.

Nasty stuff if you ask me..but needs must :)

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Used to made PVC look like leather in luxury cars and also used to aid in cushioning impacts, etc.

Nasty stuff if you ask me..but needs must :)
I don't know anything about the procedure but I will try and ask my mate but he's a nightmare to get hold of. I'm sure plasticizer was used:confused

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeh, heard a lot about it from the lads that did interior repairs/upgrades. Its awful to use apparently.

Any info is greatly appreciated, its something that I've been looking at doing since I got the car. Depending on how good I am at it, I may go into it full time.

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
Yeh, heard a lot about it from the lads that did interior repairs/upgrades. Its awful to use apparently.

Any info is greatly appreciated, its something that I've been looking at doing since I got the car. Depending on how good I am at it, I may go into it full time.

My mate used to have his own business called Autovision Styling based just outside of Weston super Mare. They did many front cover cars for Redline.:cool

Absolute geniuses when it came to modifying cars:rofl Unfortunately it seems the Modifying Scene has slowed up a great deal:frown

·
Registered
788 Posts
im into the modifying scene and its still quite big in the right circle we goto about 6 modified car shows a year round the country as for interior paint i have a few mates that painted there dashboards and im pretty sure they used a interior paint by foiliatec which is available from good suppliers but saying that it is best to have it done professionally as you can always take it back and complain at a later date if anything goes wrong and you keep your hands clean lol

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the lead there bmwkev, much appreciated.

Do you have any experience with the product? i.e Is the Gloss black actually gloss, or does it dry flat?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just what bmwkev says - used to see foliatec used a lot in the past,
I've seen it done well, I've seen it done badly:hihi
I think patience and a steady hand are the name of the game.

Seem to remember always seeing it in Demon Tweeks catalogue's

Lastly, seen a lot of cars with alcantara on their dash, also I see a lot of people getting a vinyl wrap applied to their cars to change the colour, possibly something you could do with your dash ?

cheers

tangerine terror

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the information there tangerine. Cant remember the last time I saw a Demon Tweeks catalogue. However I shall do some investigation now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.