BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

What do you all think to the above question? I currently have a E36 R reg 323 saloon, but I have lowered it, AC Schnitzer type 2 alloys, catback exhaust and panel filter. I love the car, but.. before I had this I had a Celica GT4 with 300bhp. I have told myself I will always go BMW now just becuase the 323 is such a great car to drive.

But I get itchy feet every year.. so if I wanted to upgrade, what do you think is the best option? E36 M3, or E46 330Ci sport? I know both are fine cars. I like the idea of the M3, but the 330 is newer, and I really like the way they look.. If I do go for an upgrade, I guess I am looking around the £4-5k mark.

I am aware I can do the M50 manifold upgrade on my current 323 to really unleash the 2.5I6 power, but is it worth it when I could have the above?

Interested in what other bimmer owners think!

Thanks in advance!

·
Platinum BFuk Member
588 Posts
An m50 mod and remap will set you back about 500 plus. Getting 192 ish out of your engine will be a nice upgrade.

But... if you do have 4-5k to spend on a car, I'd go for the 330 Ci, it's not quite as quick as an M3 (top end at least) but the running costs won't be too much compared to the insurance and consumables that an M3 will get through.

Reactions: carbine323

·
Administrator
4,221 Posts
Personally I would just stick a LSD, manifold, remap, swap the exhaust for a 328 one on the 323 and be done with it.

I was looking at either a 330 or the E36 M3 recently. I went for the M3! The 330's were well spec'd and newer (obviously) but it just lacked something.

As has been said, what's your budget for running the thing?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I guess thats not something I really thought about! Insurance isn't too much of an issue for me, but I guess fuel, consumables etc will be. I'm now thinking the 330Ci would be a better choice. I will keep my eye out for a decent one about. Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
The 330i is the wise and dare I say the best choice. decent performance, acceptable running costs, plenty to choose from ... whats not to like.

However, the M3 will always be an 'M3', but you must buy a very good one and be warned, M cars cost a lot to maintain and run so take this into consideration.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.