BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2002 BMW 316ti M Sport II
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any issues with activating CC when there's a passenger in the car?

I've noticed that when I'm by myself, CC activates no prob on the first try, but when there's a passenger with me, I can't get it to activate.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
You have some seriously dodgy wiring if the seat occupancy sensor has anything to do with your cruise control.

You must have some error codes to be read, may shed more light on the situation :)

Good Luck...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, well here's the thing. The PO removed the little box into which the occupancy sensor connects. I'm guessing that the sensor is done, as I've read that most get during their lifetime

·
Registered
68 Posts
The cc is switched from the mfsw, where an airbag is also wired. That looks to me like a starting point for investigation. The ten way connector beneath the column for starters.

·
Registered
68 Posts
You cannot have a fault caused by the airbags or the seat. You have an incorrectly wired car. Check the wiring properly.
If you cannot, buy somebody who can. Expect it to take a long time to find.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You cannot have a fault caused by the airbags or the seat. You have an incorrectly wired car. Check the wiring properly.
If you cannot, buy somebody who can. Expect it to take a long time to find.
Seems like checking the wiring is my only option.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am an electronic engineer. It really is the only option. Run diagnostics first for clues but take the seat and carpet out to check for trapped wires as well.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am an electronic engineer. It really is the only option. Run diagnostics first for clues but take the seat and carpet out to check for trapped wires as well.
Same here (only with power systems, not electronic). This won't be my first time dealing with wires, so it's not an issue, just thought it happened to someone

·
Registered
68 Posts
No, it's a new one on me. I would start with the connection from the steering wheel. Pin 8 of the ten way connector below the top of the column. Look for shorts. It should go to pin 27 on the ECU, 37 if diesel. If retrofitted, the wire is added and should run through the bulkhead through the ECU compartment.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, it's a new one on me. I would start with the connection from the steering wheel. Pin 8 of the ten way connector below the top of the column. Look for shorts. It should go to pin 27 on the ECU, 37 if diesel. If retrofitted, the wire is added and should run through the bulkhead through the ECU compartment.
Do you have any wiring diagrams(for the whole car would be best) that you could send over or is it from Haynes/Bentley?

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Don't get me wrong but if the fault only happens when you have a passenger then surely the fault is with a sensor in that seat or wiring under the carpet where they put there feet.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Don't get me wrong but if the fault only happens when you have a passenger then surely the fault is with a sensor in that seat or wiring under the carpet where they put there feet.
In the process of analysis, will post if I find what's up

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
An update to this - connected the car to INPA, it has a fault for lamda controller (not sure what it is) and the oil level signal seems to be missing. There was also a fault for MF wheel interface, but since it registers all buttons as working, I believe it's related to the condition that CC can't work if there are faults on the ECU present (this claim is taken from WDS)

·
Registered
978 Posts
Yeah my cruise control was broken due of clutch sensor ( soaked with brake fluid). After replacing with a used master cilinder and sensor , everything works fine.

Now everything replaced with new parts, CC cannot be activated.
Somehow even that is gone now, CC lights are unlit when trying to switch on.

Just to lazy to troubleshout, I never use CC😂

1 - 20 of 33 Posts