BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
as title says, unfortunately I rear ended an mpv today, when a car pulled out infront of me at a roundabout i swerved round it and went into the back of a car that was stopped on the exit i was taking. im not looking for sympathy just an insight to whether my pride and joy is a writeoff or not. id prefer it not to be tbh. now the part that the slam panel attaches to is bent round, and im pretty sure this is structural. here are the pictures of what im talking about, unfortunately i cant get under the bonnet as it wont release.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
sorry to hear that dude - i have always thought your car is one of the better lookers on here. Hope you get her back to her shiny best soon and don't have to scrap her!

Reactions: eforty6

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah ive contacted a bodyshop and theyre gonna look at it tomorrow, i dont wanna go through insurance if i can because i know they will write it off. if it costs a grand to repair it, im fine with that! thanks for the support guys

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah parts will be great its just a shame that stupid support bar is bent, id be having a go at repairing it right now if it wasnt for that!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
Remember it is your car. If you are fully comp or not the insurance need to know.

Consider making a claim BUT specifying you want the salvage. Salvage might be between 10% to 20% of value so you keep car and get a cheque for it minus salvage.

Use the cheque to pay some / all of the repairs, you may even be in profit.

As you should be telling the insurance anyway and / or the other party may be claiming against you anyway you may be better off like this.

Repair car, get MOT and then do the DVLA VIC test which is £40 or £50 ish and doesn't check the quality of repairs so should not hold any fear afte an MOT.

Car may be slightly harder to insure after but that is the case anyway.

Done this multiple times in the past and has never been a problem.

However, no warranty implied or given, check what applies or is suitable for you in your situation.

Reactions: eforty6

·
Registered
600 Posts
sorry to hear this mate hope you get it fixed bodytek in taunton are pretty good i know a guy who worked there

·
Registered
71 Posts
that will be repairable mate trust me and shouldnt be too much. I have repaired worse! start by removing the wings then somehow the bonnet. Will be cheaper to replace than repair bolt on bits so just hack!! GL with it

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
that will be repairable mate trust me and shouldnt be too much. I have repaired worse! start by removing the wings then somehow the bonnet. Will be cheaper to replace than repair bolt on bits so just hack!! GL with it
First thing is pop the bonnet and do measurements from fixed points (bulkhead) to strut tops and make sure they haven't moved.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
an update for you all, the car is being handed over to the insurance, hopefully it wont be classed as a write off, but if it is i intend to buy the car back and fix it up. anyone have any idea what an insurance company charges when they sell a car back to you? (worst case scenario) also ive read around that it costs around £200 to get a car sorted out on a jig, which seems reasonable to me just need that arm straitening out.

heres a sad sad picture

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Oh mate not a good day that one,.

If its any help my a mate from work rear ended a Jag on the way to work and they wrote it of, a saxo vt or something.

He ended up getting to keep the car and just bought another one same colour and kept the other one for spares. He doesnt work with us now but i remember him saying the difference on him keeping or not keeping the car was peanuts and he was well happy with the result:thumbsup

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
its a nice thought mate, but i dont think my dad would appreciate half a bmw on the drive :p , if it was up to me on the other hand :).... but just got some good news anyway, my courtesy car is a 60 plate mini cooper!

·
Registered
71 Posts
i bought my supra back off the insurance company (agreed value of 9.5k) for £1200 new rear bumper, support bar, rear wing, boot and new wheels and was away to go. £40 VIC test passed easy.

Doubt they will write it off. if they do buy it back strip it for bits. Then weigh in the chassis at your local scrap dealer you should get atleast £100 ontop of the bits you sell plus whatever they give you from writing it off

·
Registered
737 Posts
when you take it for a quote have a word, someone ran into my old 328 and did a simaler amount of damage and when i took it in i said its reliable and a good run about can you save it, they tidied up the front bumper instead of replacing it, it needed a nearside wing plus door matching, a nose cone and headlight and indicator it was 12 years old and had 200000 miles on it, i was convinced it would be wrote off but no it lived to fight another day so you may be lucky

1 - 20 of 33 Posts