BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

First time poster here.

Regretably, on the way home last night, some muppet drove into my pride and joy (2008, 320d M sport yesterday). The other car hit my passenger side full on. As far as I can see both doors on the passenger side are probably gonna need to be replaced. Liability is likely to rest with the other driver.

My Insurance company Liverpool Vic have offered to fix my car and provide a courtesy car and guarantee the repairs for 5 years.

However my car is still under warranty - so should I get the dealership to do the repairs for peace of mind and forgo the courtesy car and 5 year guarantee on their repairs?

I was going down the dealership route when I was informed that if I traded it in to BMW at some point in the future they would offer a much lower price as they would know it was involved in a collision?

All comments or advice much appreciated thanks.

Gutted BMW owner

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
sorry about the news.
when my toyota aygo got hit toyota fixed it and then i traded it in and they didnt say anythink about it because it wasnt log'd on the log book as crashed.

if it gets log'd then you will be getting a lower price as soon as people see it or HPI it.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
you want bmw to fix it!!!, will be a bit better resale than a insurance garage! but you also want some compo for the loss in value!, is the car repairable, if you were hit side on then won't there be some b pillar damage?? doors etc?

·
Registered
146 Posts
If it's defo not your fault then let BMW handle everything, I had a post office van crash into my parked Audi and I never even contacted my insurance company as i was with some crappy company who never gave hire cars or nothing.

Audi took over everything, supplied me with a TT for a month and dealt with all insurance companies, but i would only recommend you do this if you "know" you were not at fault as it can be quite costly.

If you just want to get the car repaired by BMW then just see if they can give you a hire car, it might be something boring but at least your back on the road :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
sorry about the news.
when my toyota aygo got hit toyota fixed it and then i traded it in and they didnt say anythink about it because it wasnt log'd on the log book as crashed.

if it gets log'd then you will be getting a lower price as soon as people see it or HPI it.
Crashes only get logged if the damage is sufficient to mean the cost of repair is beyond the cost of the car, they are then assigned a catogory letter cat C/D etc just means someone has repaired a written off car which they have purchased off the insurance company and repaired to roadworthy standard again at the persons cost.

Cat C means the cost of repair is more than value.
Cat D means cost of repair is at least 60% value, but a stolen set of wheels on a 2001 BMW could write the car off as it would cost more than 60% of the car to purchase them.

·
Registered
66 Posts
LV is one of the better insurers. Some other co's will double your excess if you do not use their nominated "cheapo" repairer. LV will try to persuade you down the route of their repairer - who will have had their rates pared to the bone and will try and save a few £££ (pattern parts rather than genuine) - with the enticement of a courtesy car and a 5 yr guarantee - whatever that means.
I would ask your local BMW dealer who their local body repairer is - they will use one body shop that meets their standards. Then go see them show them the damage explain the situation with LV (which they will know anyway) and I bet you they will give you a car to run around in. Then tell LV you will forego their car and 5yr warranty and get it repaired properly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
OP, let BMW Accident Management sort your vehicle out with the other party paying all the costs, and you get approved BMW repair work done. Problem with going through your insurance is that you will have to fork out excess which will have to be claimed back. Also, you will be guaranteed a like for like or better BMW courtesy car instead of some cheap run around :thumbsup. This will also be charged on a rental basis with the other party's insurance

·
Registered
E83 3.0 X3 2004
147 Posts
OP, let BMW Accident Management sort your vehicle out with the other party paying all the costs, and you get approved BMW repair work done. Problem with going through your insurance is that you will have to fork out excess which will have to be claimed back. Also, you will be guaranteed a like for like or better BMW courtesy car instead of some cheap run around :thumbsup. This will also be charged on a rental basis with the other party's insurance
Whilst i appreciate this wont apply to bmw accident management and is a little off topic, but it is the rise in accident management companies that have caused the recent insurance increases. Admittidly its the fraudulant ones more, but the idea of providing a equal or better spec car and charging the other party should make you think whos going to end up paying for this in the long run, especially as i have heard some of these companies charge over 150 a day for a hire car.

BOT. Op, request your insurance use a BMW approved repairer to reduce the lost value in your vehicle and make sure its returned to you in as new condition.

Good luck getting it all sorted.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Whilst i appreciate this wont apply to bmw accident management and is a little off topic, but it is the rise in accident management companies that have caused the recent insurance increases. Admittidly its the fraudulant ones more, but the idea of providing a equal or better spec car and charging the other party should make you think whos going to end up paying for this in the long run, especially as i have heard some of these companies charge over 150 a day for a hire car.

BOT. Op, request your insurance use a BMW approved repairer to reduce the lost value in your vehicle and make sure its returned to you in as new condition.

Good luck getting it all sorted.
Also understand what you are saying, but OP will still have to fork out a premium on renewal even when it's not his fault, so we are not the only ones paying. The fact he has to declare it for the next 5 yrs also won't help his cause when it comes to shopping around for insurance quotes. Besides, I would rather have an approved accident management company take care of everything without me footing any part of the bill.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks all, I will probably go down the BMW route to get it fixed as suggested.

Regarding the courtesy car , I was phoned up by Enterprise within 10mins of making the claim offering me a rental car- even though I had told them my car is still driveable. LV were quick off the mark trying to get me to accept the hire car- and indirectly therefore having to use their own garage for repairs.

My excess is £500 which I've been told will not be payable if the other party accepts liability...so in the mean time I'll get some quotes off BMW and wait until liability has been accepted. Hopefully this will be sooner than later.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts