BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does any one know of an easy way to remove the main nut in the center of the crank shaft pulley? Its on an E39 523i reg 1998 if that makes a difference. And is it a left or right handed thread?

Thanks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Let me guess Barry...you want to change the water pump and you can't get to one of the bolts, so you have to remove the crank pulley...right? :silly

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not quite, the water pump is off but the next step is timing chane cover and vanos. I am doing head gasket :) I got a mate to lock the engine thru the gear box and hold the brakes on as normal, then a braker bar on the nut but it doesnt budge even with a lot of torque applied! Need to get it off today!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Okay, iirc the nut is removed anti clockwise and I guess you have already removed the M8 bolt sitting below it. A little heat may give some persuasive action on the bolt, but be careful when you remove the pulley that the location pin from the hub behind is secure.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks mate. I have searched the web but there is no info on this job. I have taken loads of photos along the way, mainly as reference to my self for re assembly, but will put a few on here, they may be of use to some one else at some time :D
I did find one site saying it needs huge torque to remove and bmw recomend a 3/4 socket set, so huge torque it is, but even my ingasol rand 1/2 inch impact wrench wont undoo it and that will crack any nut you like normaly.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Came off no problem in the end, just had to use a 3 foot bar over a socket and it wasnt bad, its a normal thread by the way if any one else needs to know in future.

Vanos off, just got to pull the timing cover now and remove the head. Ever removed the timing cover? Not sure if there are dowels in there some where but its solid at the moment. Hoping the sump hasnt got to come off!!!

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All done now :D Managed to remove the head without removing the timing cover by using a bunji cord to keep the chain tight so it cant skip a tooth lower down, will check before fire up obviously.
Thanks for the link tho, I did brows that site but was unable to find that picture some how.
Bad news is the head has failed the pressure test :( Off head hunting now :lol:

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No, its not the mating face that failed hence no tracking marks in the gasket, there is a crack or small hole internaly. Very common on these heads apparently. The head guy I use says its 99% of BMW 6 pot 523 heads that go the same way, the gasket normaly doesnt go. He is looking at getting it welded but thats hit and miss!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts