BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have written off and retained my BMW 330i M sport and intend to fix it for continued use.
I am concerned about renewal once my current policy runs out next year. I will speak to my insurer, 1st Central, tomorrow and see if they can answer some questions.

How difficult is it to obtain insurance for a car that was written off as a total loss and will it cost much more?

If it helps upon renewal I will be 24, have 5 years no claims, have no points but I do have a speeding ticket which I took a course for and my incident involved no 3rd parties and the total claim was around £4000.

If someone with more knowledge and experience than my self could give me an idea of what to expect that would really help me out!
Thanks will be given.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Depends (to some extent) on the vehicle classification as a "total loss". Is it Cat C or Cat D? Cat A and Cat B are not insurable AFAIK as the rules say they have to be crushed.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its definitely capable of being returned to use so it would be a CAT C but no one has officially told me that yet.

·
Registered
4,283 Posts
Daughters first car was written off after 3 weeks, surprised as I thought simple half shaft replacement, never got to know the official classification but around a month later her black box provider emailed her saying it wasn't being driven appropriately in Rochdale and checking it had been re taxed and MOT'd.

Original brokers quoted £5,000 for cover for her replacement car, which cost £4,200, so we took that to mean they really didn't want to insure her, hunted around and Insure the box came in with something like £80 more than her original insurance.

The quotes you may get can vary wildly, and may change daily.

Add to that you lots of Cat C, D on autotrader, so there'll be plenty around that deal in cover for them.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Daughters first car was written off after 3 weeks, surprised as I thought simple half shaft replacement, never got to know the official classification but around a month later her black box provider emailed her saying it wasn't being driven appropriately in Rochdale and checking it had been re taxed and MOT'd.

Original brokers quoted £5,000 for cover for her replacement car, which cost £4,200, so we took that to mean they really didn't want to insure her, hunted around and Insure the box came in with something like £80 more than her original insurance.

The quotes you may get can vary wildly, and may change daily.

Add to that you lots of Cat C, D on autotrader, so there'll be plenty around that deal in cover for them.
Thanks for telling me about your experience.

It still leaves me wondering but I guess that's what you're saying. That I wont know until I get to that point?

·
Approved Trader
224 Posts
Hi all,

I have written off and retained my BMW 330i M sport and intend to fix it for continued use.
I am concerned about renewal once my current policy runs out next year. I will speak to my insurer, 1st Central, tomorrow and see if they can answer some questions.

How difficult is it to obtain insurance for a car that was written off as a total loss and will it cost much more?

If it helps upon renewal I will be 24, have 5 years no claims, have no points but I do have a speeding ticket which I took a course for and my incident involved no 3rd parties and the total claim was around £4000.

If someone with more knowledge and experience than my self could give me an idea of what to expect that would really help me out!
Thanks will be given.
Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your damage.

Usually, or certainly with us, a Cat C or D write off won't affect the premium but it will affect the amount of any future claim settlement as the car is deemed less valuable than book.

Hope that makes sense.

Nick

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi, I'm sorry to hear about your damage.

Usually, or certainly with us, a Cat C or D write off won't affect the premium but it will affect the amount of any future claim settlement as the car is deemed less valuable than book.

Hope that makes sense.

Nick
Thank you so much, that's reassuring for me. The car will devalue anyway so that makes sense.

·
Registered
203 Posts
My wife's first car was Citroen Saxo CAT D. When comparing insurance premiums for non-write off and CAT D Saxo there was no difference in price whatsoever.

It's just that in the event of a claim you'd get less than current value of your car.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My wife's first car was Citroen Saxo CAT D. When comparing insurance premiums for non-write off and CAT D Saxo there was no difference in price whatsoever.

It's just that in the event of a claim you'd get less than current value of your car.
Thank you for conformation.

I think its safe to conclude that it wont effect me unless I write it off again, which fingers crossed I wont!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts