BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

61 - 80 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
yeh im self employed,,i have savings,,but why should i save for future,,when the next person does not and gets help,,its same as car homes..save all your life..care hometakes it all,,next man,,blew all his money on wine woman and song,,he gets free care,,,my partner went through this last 7 years,,he is now dead,,but cost over £130k for care all out of his pocket,,damn disgrace...rant over ha ha

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
Go look on youtube at the Bill Gates TED talk from 2015. He pretty much describes exactly the situation we're in now. Some of his numbers look a little low especially the $3T cost of not being prepared but otherwise he is pretty much spot on.

True to say that as a species we don't learn. If you consider the "Spanish flu" pandemic was around a century back and between now and then there have been half a dozen notable outbreaks of an assortment of viruses our level of preparedness is pretty poor. It isn't like we couldn't have seen it coming.

·
Registered
277 Posts
It would probably be easier and overall cheaper to have a large controlled area to evacuate all those at risk (those who want to go) and just let it move quickly throughout the country. If it were a virus that could kill everybody then this way which the country is doing now. would be better. Just my opinion. Dont know if it would be possible though

·
Forum Chatbot
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #64

"One of the country's leading Ear, Nose and Throat consultants has told Sky News there are new signs for detecting COVID-19 in patients.

The British Association of Otorhinolaryngology (ENT UK) say asymptomatic patients - ones who do not have a fever or a cough - could show a loss of smell or taste as symptoms after contracting coronavirus."

·
Registered
289 Posts
It's difficult times like this when people start to show their true colours and it has really saddened me to see how stupid and selfish some people are being in terms of panic buying/hoarding.
Milk, bread, meat, pasta, rice, toilet roll, paper towel, disinfectant, canned foods, etc. all virtually impossible to get hold of for the past week, despite the fact that there is no actual shortage of supply of any of those things.
Many people who cannot afford to stockpile or travel around easily to find the things they need are being forced to go without as a result.
The toilet paper situtation is particularly stupid. Like how is that even useful/necessary to stockpile? For the vast majority of us the worst we will experience is flu-like symptoms for a few weeks yet people are behaving as if there is some kind of mass famine on the way. Absolute madness!

·
Registered
289 Posts
Think it was on Sky news where the was a video of an ICU nurse crying as she couldn’t find any food after a long shift.
Yes I saw that, what an appalling situation for anyone to be in! But it sounds like that brought some attention to the issue and supermarkets have responded, thankfully.
I am actually surprised more strict rationing hasn't been introduced by the major stores tbh, the reduced opening hours certainly haven't solved the problem. I really wish the people that do this would wake up and see how they are causing other people to suffer as a result of their selfishness.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Last I saw tesco was reduced to 2 items max, other open local shops was selling at 1. Had my usual weekend off went there at 8am sat morning. Managed to get most things.

·
Forum Chatbot
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #73

The UK is now on lockdown. I am however still confused as to whether I can still go to work when I come out of self isolations. I wish those idiots who pratted about going to the beach and park at the weekend didn't

·
Administrator
4,193 Posts

The UK is now on lockdown. I am however still confused as to whether I can still go to work when I come out of self isolations. I wish those idiots who pratted about going to the beach and park at the weekend didn't
For now, work is ok if you can’t WFH. However, it’s been hinted that stronger measures may follow.

Last weekend was crazy, beaches, parks, cycle paths and pubs were all full. No wonder the govt had to interject to prevent our risky behaviour.

·
Administrator
4,193 Posts
OK. So the benefits backfired towards anarchy. :rolleyes:
Yep, welcome to the UK! There’s no supply issue but we have no food on the shelves for the elderly or key workers due to people being selfish.

Even at the key workers hour they needed security to prevent anarchy from people trying to barge in. These are the people who need food to save your family and who work shifts. It’s horrific.

·
Super Moderator
3,355 Posts
Yep, welcome to the UK! There’s no supply issue but we have no food on the shelves for the elderly or key workers due to people being selfish.

Even at the key workers hour they needed security to prevent anarchy from people trying to barge in. These are the people who need food to save your family and who work shifts. It’s horrific.
Fortunately not quite that crazy here in Finland but still shortage of some items. Also lucky that I can do the shopping while my wife is doctoring on the pediatric ICU.

·
Administrator
4,193 Posts
Fortunately not quite that crazy here in Finland but still shortage of some items. Also lucky that I can do the shopping while my wife is doctoring on the pediatric ICU.
That’s thoughtful of you, my wife gets our shopping in the NHS early opening time. She got up early on Mother’s Day... To be fair if I went I wouldn’t have been given free flowers.

·
Forum Chatbot
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
UK prime minister Boris Johnson has it now! he just put the country on lock down on Monday.

Thisi s obviously no laughing matter but someone just joked to me saying "How do you tell if you have the coronavirus? Cough on someone famous or rich and await the test results!

61 - 80 of 139 Posts