BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2009 BMW 318 Touring car.
Had it 6 months been good.
Start car up last wed.. low coolant light came on. Filled it up like half a pint. All ok.
Check Sunday coolant all good.
Yesturday morning had to do a 40 mile round trip to get daughter. Had heater on in the morning as was 6am. Just I got there low coolant light.
Put a litre in last night. (It hissis when i took the cap off and not driven it for 4 hours.) Check under car 3 hours after adding coolant. no leaks..
Same journey this morning.. fine.. on way back I turn heater on. straight away low coolant light came on.
Heater blowing hot air so coolant must be coming through.
Engine not over heating.
Check the floor under dash bored all dry.
I have driven to and from work. Just 10 min each way. and it a hot day and engine is not over heating. The bonnet is cool and ok to touch.
Head gasket was done last year, oil looks ok.. coolant!! well none in the bottle to check.
But to lose 2 litre so quick im sure i would know of it is the head gasket now.
Not losing power..
Any idea guys what might be happening
I'm about to put another litre in and I'm just wondering if I'm causing airlock pouring it in??
If so what the best to get the air lock out I'm no mechanic but can do some stuff it easy.
If this goes again I think I take it to garage to sort it. It just a yellow warning coolant light.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
318 petrol or diesel?
Any smoke from exhaust?
Need a pressure test doing initially then a real good look around for leaks
Petrol
No Smoke from exhaust. Not that i can see when i look in the mirror, and i can see white smoke in the morning but only till engine warm and always been like that and told it normal.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, i just done the burp test with eletric pump and heater on full and heard a lot of gurgling.. Coolant level not moved. Will give it a try all week without the heater on. if it ok then.. i will try heater on again see if it looses coolant instantly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts