BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Coolant light

3K views 74 replies 7 participants last post by  iamthewalrus 
#1 ·
Over the past month or two my coolant warning light has been coming for a few moments, sometimes for as long as 5 minutes then goes off. Doesn’t happen on every drive, sometimes it’ll go a few weeks without happening.

I’ve checked the coolant level and it’s nice and high both when cold and just after it’s been running.

What are the chances it’s something like a faulty sensor rather than something more costly?

#73 · (Edited)
That's steep, ET on eBay from popular German brand Meyle is £31.45

I found a return hose with the part number they listed for £22. Though I remember buying a hose from BMW for £40 and we all know what they like to do with their prices. You could have done that 'investigation' with a torch yourself mate - I know its a nightmare though in this time of year with my own ET and coolant system leak woes..

BTW there is no effing way that would have taken a competent mechanic three hours to do FFS.

#75 ·
Your pricing is way out of line with the OP bill so not the best comparison my friend, what for example did you mean by you replaced "everything"? If all pipes and radiator and ET yeah but the OP has had some joker spend THREE HOURS doing this just to replace two parts FFS, I actually last year asked a local mechanic to check coolant system leaks and he was ONE hour labor and the reality is it was not even going to take an hour to thrash a car up the road to get it up to temp and stand under a bloody car lift to look where the leak is from. I have over the years of speaking to mechanics over my old car issues developed a hated for dodgy mechanics, they just want to rip you off.

That said, I'd always strongly recommend you do not got to a mechanic and ask for work outright, tell them you are asking for QUOTES FIRST so they know not to over-price you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.