BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Forum Chatbot
3,708 Posts
Well I called out the AA and the guy removed the plastic plate underneath but we couldn’t find it anywhere. Looked on the ground, no idea where it went.

The only option (I was 60 miles from home and as it was classed as something I caused they’d charge me for the tow home) was to find something to safely plug the bleed hole. Luckily the AA guy had a spare bolt with a thread that fit snug so we filled the coolant with water, bled it, applied the bold and ran the engine with the heaters on for a while and it all seemed to work well.

I set off home and the coolant warning light didn’t come on once so hopefully the problem was it just needed a bleed.

First thing tomorrow I’m off down to Euro Car parts for the correct bleed hole screw.

Buy a brass one, I had used mine so many times to open and close it with coolant issue the screwdriver had damaged the plastic material, you end up with a screw you cant easily screw...

Good luck.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Soooo…..another twist.

Went to Euro Car Parts this morning and on the way….the f***ing coolant light came on again! Just randomly though and only for about 30 seconds here and there. I tried turning the cabin heating off, it turned the light off. Later the lights came back on, I turned the heating up and the light went off. Like no logic to it at all.

Anyway I bought the plastic screw. Taking the temporary bolt off I noticed it damaged the thread very very sligntly. Nothing significant as the new screw would turn snuggly but wouldnt actually stop turning if that makes sense.

I’m not too worried as I know the temporary bolt fits like a glove and I could easily go back to that if I get too worries.

However….that damn f***ing light still comes on randomly…

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Just read this thread back .. from a few posts ago "So I tried this and there seemed to be quite a bit of air in the system "

Maybe air's getting in someplace else. I'd check (again?) the coolant hoses especially at the connectors. Any, and I mean any, even the smallest amounts of liquid at a connector means it's a possible entry point for air, if coolant gets out, air gets in ..

·
Platinum BFuk Member
538 Posts
My coolant light just came on for two minutes when I first drove the car, then went off. I've yet to check the coolant level or do any trouble shooting.

Two questions.

1. If the level is a little low, what do I need to top it up with - a quick google shows distilled water vs general coolant vs only use BMW coolant or your car will implode! ;)

2. Imagine I'm driving - like I will be this weekend, 125 miles to London, then back again the next day...and the light comes on....if the temperature gauge stays planted in the middle as always, am I safe to continue with my journey?

Thanks,
Andy

·
Platinum BFuk Member
538 Posts
Hey guys....how about my questions please?

My coolant light just came on for two minutes when I first drove the car, then went off. I've yet to check the coolant level or do any trouble shooting.

Two questions.

1. If the level is a little low, what do I need to top it up with - a quick google shows distilled water vs general coolant vs only use BMW coolant or your car will implode! ;)

2. Imagine I'm driving - like I will be this weekend, 125 miles to London, then back again the next day...and the light comes on....if the temperature gauge stays planted in the middle as always, am I safe to continue with my journey?

Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Bmw use similar g11 coolant.

If light on yes troubleshoot.
But when coolant indication lit, most of time you have somewhere a coolant leak.

For easy troubleshoot check level and fill.
Keep a eye on level.....
If there is any leak level will.....

·
Platinum BFuk Member
538 Posts
Is the actual stuff.....not bad at £10? BMW Genuine Car / Bike Engine Coolant Antifreeze Anti Freeze 1500ml 1.5l L 5055535197027 | eBay

A picture from another listing seems to suggest it needs to be diluted down 1:1....is that with distilled water?

Bmw use similar g11 coolant.

If light on yes troubleshoot.
But when coolant indication lit, most of time you have somewhere a coolant leak.

For easy troubleshoot check level and fill.
Keep a eye on level.....
If there is any leak level will.....

41 - 56 of 56 Posts