BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Do make sure the system is bled properly, it may not be the cause of the problem but it doesn't cost anything to do apart some time and maybe antifreeze/deionised water.

Mine did this with the light coming on very intermittently and it was as a result of it needing bled. It took me a few attempts to get it right as it's essential the engine gets up to temp so the stats open.

Admittedly mines a diesel so a different car but it's worth a punt.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
You could do a simple test. Ride car for while turn on cabin heating.
If coolant level warning will lit, turn off cabin heating.
Confirm if coolant level warning will unlit.
If this problen occurs then your coolant level is not properly.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Well I don’t know if the garage potching about inadvertently did some good but I just did a 90 mile round trip and the warning light didn’t come on once.

Obviously there’ve been some journeys I’d done over the last month or so when it hasn‘t come on but in the last 2 or 3 weeks it came on and went off almost each time I went out in the car, the other morning at 6am I left for the gyms and it came on after a few minutes.

But today the warning stayed off so fingers crossed.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
You could do a simple test. Ride car for while turn on cabin heating.
If coolant level warning will lit, turn off cabin heating.
Confirm if coolant level warning will unlit.
If this problen occurs then your coolant level is not properly.
MF’er!!! So I did a 90 mile drive yesterday and everything was fine.

I went to the gym this morning at 6am, again everything was fine.

I had the heater on in the way home and the warning light came back on!

I did as you said, I turned the heater all the way down to cold and a few minutes later the light went back off.

Not sure if the problem is what you suggest or whether it just randomly went off as it sometimes does.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I don’t get that though - the coolant level looks fine to me…
Maybe the system isn't bled fully, certainly the heater benefits from being used and the coolant system from being bled thoroughly and exactly as the manuals says it should be, and the level is maintained at the tank, but not in the system.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Raise your car at front.
Turn cabin heater to max tempetature and lowest fan speed.
Open bleed screw at top coolant hose.
Fill coolant into tank.
Squeeze top coolant for faster coolant flow.
If done well only fluid will come out of bleed screw.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
I’m still getting this so do I need to do a full coolant bleed or just top it up making sure the air screw gets fluid going through it as well?
I would do as @BMW325TI says and it should bleed the system pretty well. Be prepared to do it again after a few drives .. ;) It shouldn't need it, but mine did to get it completely bled.

·
Registered
238 Posts
How many bleed screws are there on the petrol cars? There's 4 on some of the diesels and the process of bleeding is a bit convoluted.

Monitor the coolant temp also (INPA or secret menu on the dash) to make sure the engine gets to temperature so the stat opens.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Raise your car at front.
Turn cabin heater to max tempetature and lowest fan speed.
Open bleed screw at top coolant hose.
Fill coolant into tank.
Squeeze top coolant for faster coolant flow.
If done well only fluid will come out of bleed screw.
So I tried this and there seemed to be quite a bit of air in the system so I topped it up until water came out of the bleed valve. Happy as I thought that must have been the problem.

Except…..whist doing this I dropped the bleed screw in the engine bay and can’t find the f***ing thing anywhere.

And naturally places like Euro car parts is closed on a Sunday.

FFS!
So Ive called the AA out so see if they can get inside the bay and find it otherwise my car isn’t going anywhere for a few days.

·
Forum Chatbot
3,708 Posts
So I tried this and there seemed to be quite a bit of air in the system so I topped it up until water came out of the bleed valve. Happy as I thought that must have been the problem.

Except…..whist doing this I dropped the bleed screw in the engine bay and can’t find the f***ing thing anywhere.

And naturally places like Euro car parts is closed on a Sunday.

FFS!
So Ive called the AA out so see if they can get inside the bay and find it otherwise my car isn’t going anywhere for a few days.

Halfords might still be open, this might help you.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Well I called out the AA and the guy removed the plastic plate underneath but we couldn’t find it anywhere. Looked on the ground, no idea where it went.

The only option (I was 60 miles from home and as it was classed as something I caused they’d charge me for the tow home) was to find something to safely plug the bleed hole. Luckily the AA guy had a spare bolt with a thread that fit snug so we filled the coolant with water, bled it, applied the bold and ran the engine with the heaters on for a while and it all seemed to work well.

I set off home and the coolant warning light didn’t come on once so hopefully the problem was it just needed a bleed.

First thing tomorrow I’m off down to Euro Car parts for the correct bleed hole screw.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts