BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased a 530 and unfortunately it has an OBC option on the i-drive rather than a Navigation "Sat Nav" option. Is it possible to convert it to a sat nav and if so could somebody please advise on the most cost effective way of doing it?

·
Registered
710 Posts
And the Garmin/Tom Tom actually understand english commands, remember Clarkson attempting to use the BMW iDrive Navigation and he ended up falling out with himself, but then, he is a clot!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeh I know where you're coming from, I'd just rather have a sat nav system in place rather than the OBC which I don't think I'd ever use. Thanks for the replys though.

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
Yeh I know where you're coming from, I'd just rather have a sat nav system in place rather than the OBC which I don't think I'd ever use. Thanks for the replys though.
Username redadair on here is the man for idrive stuff. I will send him a pm.

The bonus with the BMW idrive is you dont have to unplug it from your *** lighter, take the mounter of the window and hide it all in the boot of your car eevery time you leave the car parked somewhere...

For me thats a BIG bonus!

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,428 Posts
hi Swansea Jack :)

So you'd rather completely remove the i-drive system and have a tom tom, or some sort of equivalent, in its place?

or

You have the i-drive but no sat nav option installed as yet?

Do you have one or two cd / dvd slots in your centre console (top one for music, bot one for sat nav dvd).

Just to be sure before I rant on :) Red :)

·
Registered
6,636 Posts

Yeah, it looks great, and through the i-drive easier to use on the move. I use mine all the time.
What is frustrating is that a £150 Garmin gives better results, but the wires can be very offputting.
Given the choice, I would go fully installed every time, but you can't ignore the value for money of the aftermarkets.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I want to keep the I-drive but want to change the OBC option to Navigation. Unfortunately I only have 1 cd slot on the dash, I don't think it's looking good for a conversion?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts