BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
currently got a 97 tdi quattro A4 avant.... Anything I should look out for on the bimmer? We've got VAGCOM for audi's (OBD through a laptop & Cable), anything similar for the Bimmers?

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I have a 320d SE 2001 and its the best car i have ever had! its done 175k and still drives like new. You will prob just need to check suspension for wear as i need a new damper on the back and wishbone bushes up front. But in my opinion you cant go wrong with a BMW.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shame you are in Scotland..I've got an X Reg to get rid of very reasonably. Just needs the aircon fixed
How much you looking for? Any specs, photos? Maybe a listing somewhere?

CHeers Guys,
I had a read at the Honest John article and while most of the repair cost quoted are from main dealer there seems to be quite a bit of concern over the turbos, egr, intake manifold and gearboxes.... Now I know from experience that if you get a duffer (no matter what make it is) then that's all it will ever be... I'm going to search for chassis numbers build years where there were particularly bad examples but over all I'm genuinely impressed. Is there a big difference in the 136bhp to 150bhp? Did they both come with the 6spd box?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers Ronnie. I've got a couple of things to sort on the quattie before I decide what's next (and before I can sell her).... I'll get back to ya'll when I've made a choice. Either way... I'm staying german :O)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thought I'd resurrect an old thread rather than start a new one. I am looking to get a 320d saloon/touring as a family bus. Have a 1 year old and the Clio doesn't quite cut it anymore. Although I love its capabilities it's too small and suspension too stiff.

Budget is around 5K so looking at '01/02 models at around 90K from looking on the trader. I cannot really afford to sell privately and then look so will have to be through a stealer.

I've read the Honest John bit above but with regards to the turbo and swirl valve problems did these occur early on in the car's lives? Is it best to find an example with a replacement turbo etc?

I've never really had a "premium" car, always French tin hot hatches so this is a blind leap for me. Cheers from any owners or past owners that have any advice to offer.

·
Registered
20,393 Posts
Thought I'd resurrect an old thread rather than start a new one. I am looking to get a 320d saloon/touring as a family bus. Have a 1 year old and the Clio doesn't quite cut it anymore. Although I love its capabilities it's too small and suspension too stiff.

Budget is around 5K so looking at '01/02 models at around 90K from looking on the trader. I cannot really afford to sell privately and then look so will have to be through a stealer.

I've read the Honest John bit above but with regards to the turbo and swirl valve problems did these occur early on in the car's lives? Is it best to find an example with a replacement turbo etc?

I've never really had a "premium" car, always French tin hot hatches so this is a blind leap for me. Cheers from any owners or past owners that have any advice to offer.
The turbo problems and swirl flap problems can crop up at any time unfortunately if they haven't been changed, some people do major miles without a problem, others do major miles and then bang, turbo or swirl flap fails, I've heard of some people doing 40,000 miles and a swirl flap failing :frown.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.