BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have built and rallied peugeot 205s, an impreza and have been rallying a bmw 318ti compact for a few years now. the compact started with the standard engine then i fitted throttle bodies off an e36 m3 then i fitted a 328i engine and ended up with Shirley engineering building me a stroked m42 (the standard 1800cc engine that came with the compact) which is my favourite engine. i had a slight off last october and decided it was time to freshen up the compact as it was looking a bit tired, once finished i did not want to take it on the gravel so decided to build another budget compact for our quarry events. the idea was to keep the costs as low as possible by swapping the seats and belts over from the other car then swapping them back when i did tarmac events. I wanted to keep the car as light as possible as i would be using the standard 1900cc engine.

my tarmac compact after the freshen up
this is the car before the crash https://youtu.be/vtexCJHFors
this is the repairs after the crash https://youtu.be/sqVClBYaUyw

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i bought a year 2000 318ti compact last june. it had a couple of dents and a split inlet pipe along with a worn steering arm and rack end, apart from that it drove lovely

i put it in the garage and started off by fitting an impreza steering rack as the bmw ones have a lot of turns lock to lock and i had a converted subframe and rack left over that i never used on the other car as i used a z4 rack instead.

i then started to remove the interior, the seats weighed a lot and there was loads of redundant wiring that wasn't needed for things like the ABS, parking sensors, radio, electric windows etc.

some of the wiring that was removed

the sunroof was removed (very heavy) and a single skinned panel was welded in place.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i took measurements off the cage in my other car and had a basic cage made which i then had to make plates for the legs and weld in to the car. it was a lot of work and i would buy a ready made cage if i was doing it again.
I also fitted the seat rail plates and welded in the seat rails

i removed the small case diff and fitted a 3.9 medium case LSD with atlas plates. i kept the smaller driveshafts as i figured the standard engine and being used on gravel would not put too much stress on them. i have larger shafts off an e30 325i but would rather keep them for the other car.
the excess weight from the bumpers was removed. I made up a chassis mounted engine mount as the impreza steering column fouled the standard engine mount and i have also had to replace 5 engine mounts on the other car before i chassis mounted the engine.
I serviced the engine, removed the heater and plumbing along with the associated electrics then fitted the plastic windows.
i am using out of date seats and harnesses during the build so i don't damage my good ones.
the electric solenoid was removed from the tailgate and fitted to the gearbox tunnel and a cable was attached and fitted to the electric isolator switch so i could use a button on the bonnet instead of a pull cable. i made up a plate for the button and extinguisher cable to be fitted to and cut a hole in the bonnet

the extinguishers were fitted along with the plumbing to sort out the engine bay

i removed the ABS and fitted a hydraulic hand brake while replacing all the pipework

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
once the plastic windows were fitted i took the car for a drive and all worked well apart from the fuel gauge not working along with the rev counter. it turned out to be the plug in the back of the dash hadn't been pushed in far enough so an easy fix. i was a little worried as i had taken so many wires out of the car and was hoping it wasn't a wrongly removed one.
the rally i was hoping to compete in was planned to be run today but was unfortunately cancelled so i eased up on working on the car as i had been spent the last 6 weeks with most evenings and weekends working on it.
All that is left to do to finish off the car is fit the door bars to the cage, fit the mud flaps and fit the tow straps front and rear.
it should be finished in an evening and i can take it to get its vehicle passport ready for the next rally.

all the little things seems to take longer than expected. the bonnet catches, making the harness eyes, fitting the seats etc.
i bought a bmw e36 328i with 67000 miles, full history and driving lovely for not a lot of money.

it is the same colour as the rally car and will be handy for the bumper, bonnet, wing and engine. i got hold of a 325i inlet manifold to go onto the engine and will contact endtune about working on the ECU. i am keen to rally the car with the 1900cc m44 engine and maybe swap the engines later in the year as i have used up all my brownie points at home and have to spend a bit more time working on the house rather than being in the garage.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I needed some way of opening the front windows, I'm not keen on the sliders as it gets hot and when doing long road sections it is nice to get as much air in as possible. i copied this idea off a friend of mine, it involved cutting the plastic window into 2 parts and making a parallel main window and fitting the glass divider from the rear doors of an e36 4 door (the 328i that will be donating its engine)

it works really well and i am now going to drill a hole somewhere so i can bolt it shut for a bit of security and also keep it to stay open a little while on stage

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

finally finished, fitted the door bars, tow straps and mud flaps now just need the door squares and stickers then ready to log book (vehicle passport)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i fitted e36 m3 springs to the rear which has kept it a good height and stiffened it up a bit. i have just pulled an e36 328i apart and will fit the springs off that onto the bilstein front shocks i have and will see how that works out.
The scrutineer passed it for its passport inspection tonight so it is now officially a rally car.
i am keen to use it on its first event with the 1900cc engine then see about fitting the 328i engine into it. the last one i did was only about 5kg heavier with the 6 cylinder aluminium engine rather than the 4 cylinder steel engine
unfortunately i was rushing to pull the engine out the spares car and forgot to disconnect the power steering pipes and spilt oil all over the drive so tomorrows job after work is to find a place to put all the goodies removed from the 328i, dump what is left and clean up the drive.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
now thats finished and log booked i have got another project to start.

it has been stored in a garage for 9 years and is in really good condition without any rust anywhere. it came with a multi point cage and plastic windows. I have a few rallies coming up and am then i am looking forward to starting this as i love the look of an e30

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i wanted to raise the car slightly and had some old bilsteins but they were 50mm lower than standard so i cut off the spring plates and fitted some threaded height adjustable tube and 10" 350lb springs

the car was too heigh so i got rid of the tube and fitted the springs direct to the strut housing which gave me a height of 15mm above standard which is where i wanted to be.

have a rally at the end of next month so will see how they work

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
its first rally next weekend so i put some stickers on it, swapped the seats and belts for in date ones, finished off the sliding windows using old seat belts so i can have them fully closed, open about 100mm and fully open, I just need to swap the wheels over and fit the intercom.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

i have just completed its first event and what a laugh. the car ran faultless all day with most of the problems being my driving. it was very wet during the morning with the 4wd cars making up lots of time. i had plenty of understeer probably due to the wet muddy conditions and also the budget tyres that i was using, i had 3 spins luckily without hitting anything. i disconnected the front roll bar and it stopped raining which made the car a pleasure to drive. it still had understeer but no where near as bad as the morning. i was struggling to get it into 3rd gear as i had fitted a quick shift gearstick which i will be reverting back to the standard one. i managed 1st instead of 3rd a couple of times which was a bit scary

i finished 4th overall which I'm more than happy with and i can't believe how much fun i have had in this virtually standard car.
looking forward to my next event

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have been able to do a bit to the e30 now the compact is finished, the problem i have is that now love island has finished the wife will notice I'm not sitting next to her in the evenings which will reduce my hours in the garage

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
update. the compact is being sold, i don't really want to sell it but i have problems with parking, too many cars and something has to go. i have been working on the e30 and changed my mind about building it into a m3 replica, as it is a genuine 325i sport in really good condition it would be sacrilege to cut the rear wings off so i have been collecting parts to return it to its original condition with the m-tech 2 kit. i still have all the bits for a m3 replica and will carry on building that in the future with another shell.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts