BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
M52TU Turbo Swapped... MX5 (No that's not a joke or a typo)
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So looking for some recommendations for clutches for my turbo M52TU. The setup is shoehorned into an
Mx5 so I was originally hoping that the reduced weight would mean the stock clutch would last a little while but it was no match for 15PSI of boost.

So it's an M52TUB25 engine (2.5L from a 323) and with a 5 speed gearbox (getrag I think but not 100%). Engine is running at around 15PSI boost from a GT3071R turbo with a reduced CR of about 8.8:1. Currently running dual mass flywheel so also looking to switch to single. Currently HP and Torque are unknown as I'm still tuning it but goal is 350-400 WHP and similar or slightly more torque.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Luk clutches can be 'tuned' to different spring strengths and a variety of friction materials and of the two I had (in different vehicles) neither failed despite, in one case ~500 HP, being run in off-road competition including deep wading .. ;)

·
Registered
BMW E60 530d SE Business Edition
98 Posts
I would go for a high performance Paddle Clutch heres a couple of links
And I thought a mate had gone daft putting a tuned Volvo T5 in a MX5, Surprised since you have done all this work already you need advice, you must have NOS for Blood:D:D;)
Go for a full assembly not just plate, be carefull on no dual mass, heard a few that did and regretted it, snapped input shafts etc and that was on standard cars

·
Registered
M52TU Turbo Swapped... MX5 (No that's not a joke or a typo)
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would go for a high performance Paddle Clutch heres a couple of links
And I thought a mate had gone daft putting a tuned Volvo T5 in a MX5, Surprised since you have done all this work already you need advice, you must have NOS for Blood:D:D;)
Go for a full assembly not just plate, be carefull on no dual mass, heard a few that did and regretted it, snapped input shafts etc and that was on standard cars
I considered the T5 as 5 cylinder turbo engines are awesome but decided against it due to the associated difficulties/complications of changing an engines orientation. I always feel that clutches are one of those things where its always good to check other peoples experience as there are some proper shit clutches on the market. Funnily enough I actually bit the bullet and ordered an RTS performance clutch/flywheel kit yesterday morning so hopefully that should do the trick

·
Registered
BMW E60 530d SE Business Edition
98 Posts
I considered the T5 as 5 cylinder turbo engines are awesome but decided against it due to the associated difficulties/complications of changing an engines orientation. I always feel that clutches are one of those things where its always good to check other peoples experience as there are some proper shit clutches on the market. Funnily enough I actually bit the bullet and ordered an RTS performance clutch/flywheel kit yesterday morning so hopefully that should do the trick
I hope your Project works out well, please keep me updated as too how it goes. It should have a BIG grin factor, I have a Yamaha Jetski and Honda CRM 250 that does that for me:):):cool:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts