BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The above part recently failed on my 2010 F11 520d.

The car has 72,000 miles and is out of both original manufacturers and extended warranty.

First thing is that when I went to my local dealer they downloaded the cars details from the key. This indicated the fault occurring at 45,271 miles - approximately 1 1/2 years ago and a t time when the car would still have been under warranty. Any ideas about why this might be the case????

Secondly - A new clock spring is approximately £600 including fitting. If I buy one from a breakers yard and get an independent to fit it, will there be a 'world of pain' trying to code it to the car??

many thanks in advance for any advice.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I couldn't find the clock spring on realoem, but £600 sounds a hell of a lot of money for what it is - I mean all it is - is a literally a coil of flat wire that provides electrical tracks between the steering wheel and the steering column to operate all the controls on the wheel. Did you notice some functions not working? It sounds very unlikely that it went x number of miles ago without anyone noticing something amiss. Bearing in mind how simple it is, I would think Mcbonio is dead right about coding, an indy can do that easy enough.

·
Premium Member
4,567 Posts
Good point Richyroos,

If your clockspring was dead, your dash board would have a lot of error lights present, including your airbag warning light and your ABS warning light.! Your steering buttons wouldn't work either.

Do you have dashboard errors?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
es all of the steering wheel controls are dead. The dashboard error relates to the non functioning airbag ( supplementary restraint system)

I spoke to a local independent - he said that he would have no problem coding a new one but that a second hand one would have been previously coded to a different car and that that could be an issue ????

A new one is £400 plus vat plus fitting. BMW advise about an hour should do it.

Realise that it's a long shot chasing them regarding the warranty but it is strange that a warning should materialise now referencing a milage that was about 18 months ago???

I just wondered were there different levels of interrogation that dealers do when cars are in for a service?

·
Super Moderator
3,618 Posts
I couldn't find the clock spring on realoem, but £600 sounds a hell of a lot of money for what it is - I mean all it is - is a literally a coil of flat wire that provides electrical tracks between the steering wheel and the steering column to operate all the controls on the wheel.
Slip ring is part of the column switch pack. CLICK

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Thanks Clavurion - I did find that part, but didn't think it would be that whole piece - on lesser cars it is a separate part!! The only one I have had experience of was a Ford Ka, which was a doddle to change, and no coding at all!

At least now I can see why it expensive - good old BMW..........

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Congratulations on fixing it - all for next to nothing too - but I have to say that it isn't a job for the faint hearted!!!

I was surprised when you spoke of soldering the fitting back onto the ribbon cable, as usually they are pressed onto the end of the cable - or was that out od necessity that you had to solder it?

I think if I was faced with a £600 bill for a new one, that I would have a bash at doing a repair - there is nothing to lose really!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
£600 plus £100 to diagnose the fault !!

Would be tempted to have a go but am afraid of the airbag exploding - perhaps irrational.

Still awaiting a reply from Mondial as to why the log report shows an error 18 months ago ?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Congratulations on fixing it - all for next to nothing too - but I have to say that it isn't a job for the faint hearted!!!

I was surprised when you spoke of soldering the fitting back onto the ribbon cable, as usually they are pressed onto the end of the cable - or was that out od necessity that you had to solder it?

I think if I was faced with a £600 bill for a new one, that I would have a bash at doing a repair - there is nothing to lose really!
In my case soldering was the only way...

·
Registered
500 Posts
£600 plus £100 to diagnose the fault !!

Would be tempted to have a go but am afraid of the airbag exploding - perhaps irrational.

Still awaiting a reply from Mondial as to why the log report shows an error 18 months ago ?
Disconnect the battery and have a coffee prior to start... and you will be just fine...
If you need any help along the way, just ask...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone hope every1 is well... i need some help with clock spring/slip ring... i hav a 2011 bmw 3 series e93 convertible... i wanted to ask does the part number have to be the same or can i fit any e9x slip ring/clock spring

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm also trying to figure this one out. Bought a replacement slip ring from a breaker for my indy to fix, he didn't have the ability to code it and wouldn't install it as a result. MOT failed, in a pickle, need to resolve this week. Argh! Can't face handing BMW north of £500 to fix a broken wire.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts