BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Another thread, but this time on how to clean your EGR valve. If your like me and get worried about how your engines running, then this is a must.

You will need some form of cleaning agent (i used Carplan Engine Degreaser, but some use White Spirit, petrol, etc.), a 5mm hex head srewdriver, T20 or T20 (Torx) head screwdriver, flathead screwdriver, a wire brush and some heavy duty Marigolds.

Before we start i need to say:

*****I have performed the maintainace myself and i am comfortable with my ability to do so and i can not be held responsible if you damage your vehicle in an event to follow my guide.*****

OK lets start:

The EGR valve is at the front right part of the manifold and looks like:

On the side of the EGR valve is a small pipe which can be taken off easily by hand or with the assistance of a small flat head scredriver:

You might want to put some masking tape around it and write down where you took it off.

you will need a T20 head to unscrew the cable mount:

You will need a flat head screw driver to undo the fron jubilee clip:

Pull the clip back and unscrew the other but uncrew it completely so it can be moved past the bend:

With the screwdriver, carefully prise the large pipe away:

Using the 5mm hex head, there are 4 bolts holding the EGR valve to the manifold. The top 2 are easy but be careful not to drop the bottom 2:

When the bolts come out, the EGR valve should look like this:

At the part of the connection of the manifold, mine was fairly built up:

And looking at the valve:

Ready to poor the Degreaser on:

Get the wire brush and try to scub as much as you can. I also used a large flathead screwdriver to scape off the bits i couldnt get to with the brush:

After i got most of the bits off, i wiped it down and passed a cloth throught the valve to make sure i got all the dirt out:

Before putting the valve back in i also cleaned out the connection to the manifold:

Once you have done all that, reverse what i have done and you will get the car back to new.

Like all my threads, i hope this comes to some use and i hope you can benefit from my guide.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
Help!

Firstly thanks for the guide.

Just following this and got all the bolts out and clips unscrewed but the jubilee clip on the left hand side of the valve (the one clipping the metal pipe to the valve) appear to be welded on and I can't get the pipe off.

Is there a method to getting it off as I don't want to use brute force if it isn't necessary - also how do you go about putting this part back on once it's off as you have to pry the end of the pipe off?

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just found this reply so someone else had the same issue - the picture ronnie posted has a different pipe than mine - where the one on the pic has the joint mine seems to go into the guts of the engine so can't see how to remove it using the method in the pic.
OK, did you manage to take any pics? Sorry i thought they were all the same on 320d and 320td engines.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
That is the same as mine, and should come off with ease. I would have another look just to see.
I'm going to tackle it again tomorrow. the jubliee clip has two spot welds fixing it to the flange (i think thats the word) that goes over the pipe which connects the valve to the pipe. The proble is this flange is compressed over both the valve and pipe and there doesn't seem to be any "give" in the metal so if I do manage to pry it off I'm wondering how I go about getting it back on. I might just end up removing the whole pipe that is connected to the valve - I'll let you know how it goes - will take a picture before my hands get oily too:D

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
Had another go at this on saturday - managed to get it off by taking the copper pipe off that is connected to it and keeping it in one piece - thought mine would be dirtier than it was considering it's done 160k but it was about the same as yours in the pics - all clean now anyway and back on - have noticed it doesn't smoke as much when i put my foot down - seems much pokier too!

Cheers for the write up.

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Wanted to take a pic but my hands were oily - mine is basically the same as this:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AS72&mospid=47635&btnr=11_3334&hg=11&fg=50
I think this is the type of clamp you had all the difficulties with fzbucks, I too have this clamp and I ended up cleaning the EGR valve
in situ but as I'd already removed the inlet manifold to deflap it was relatively easy to clean the valve from either end.

If my memory serves me right the Jubilee Clamp part is spot welded to the inner section.

Anyway good to hear you've sorted it.:D

P.S.Great pictorial again Lloyd :thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think this is the type of clamp you had all the difficulties with fzbucks, I too have this clamp and I ended up cleaning the EGR valve
in situ but as I'd already removed the inlet manifold to deflap it was relatively easy to clean the valve from either end.

If my memory serves me right the Jubilee Clamp part is spot welded to the inner section.

No worries lads and ladettes :silly

·
Platinum BFuk Member
356 Posts
yep thats the fella - to get it off would have meant butchering and bodging so I went fo rthe more laborious task of removing the copper pipe with it.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.