BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I aim to spend the day on my car, cleaning and sorting little bits out..

I have a decent shampoo and a wax... but I wondered the following:

I dont have enough money to go out and buy any decent products at the moment so is there anything decent that will substitute that you know works well - I read t cut works well on the rear window.

1. Does anyone know what I can use to clean the roof (material)
2. Something decent to clean up the leather

If no alternatives to the expensive stuff, ill jsut have to wait. :sarcastic

·
Registered
478 Posts
AG do a good hood cleaner, and halfords do cheaper ones, and as for the leather buy the wipes they're fairly good. What wax you running with, as spray on Demon shine is ok, but personally I prefer Collinite 915 (or at a push megs GC).

And for your rear window, I've heard Brasso works ok, as does apparently Wet'n'dry, but be careful.

Tom

·
Registered
478 Posts
Mer is ok (just), but don't ever let it dry/cure fully, or you will never get it off, did my mums car a few years ago (try 8-10), and some of the stuff baked on in the sun between a panel, it went like iron, it stayed there for around 3 years............

Tom

·
Registered
53 Posts
If its in pretty good nick you don't need to buy a dedicated hood cleaner, just got some APC, even Tescos Daisy will do, a good scrub with a softish nail brush and rinse well.

What would be worth getting at some stage is hood re-proofer, Renovo (google it) do a very good one.

Leather, as mentioned Gliptone is very good, another alternative thats a bit cheaper is the Zaino Z9 cleaner and Z10 conditioner works very well

Some pics of a RR i did with the Zaino leather treatments

http://www.driveandshine.co.uk//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18&Itemid=30

As for Mer, well unless you own a red mini that you like to set light to, bin it and buy something thats better and easier to use!

·
Registered
478 Posts
If its in pretty good nick you don't need to buy a dedicated hood cleaner, just got some APC, even Tescos Daisy will do, a good scrub with a softish nail brush and rinse well.

What would be worth getting at some stage is hood re-proofer, Renovo (google it) do a very good one.

Leather, as mentioned Gliptone is very good, another alternative thats a bit cheaper is the Zaino Z9 cleaner and Z10 conditioner works very well

Some pics of a RR i did with the Zaino leather treatments

http://www.driveandshine.co.uk//index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=18&Itemid=30

As for Mer, well unless you own a red mini that you like to set light to, bin it and buy something thats better and easier to use!
Go for Collinite 915 [Concours D'elegance] you can get it on ebay, thats the only wax (apart from Megs Gold Class) that touches my car, it's a solid wax in a tin, in the UK it costs 27 pounds a tub, I managed to find it on ebay for $27 for two tins plus shipping to the UK from the US. It gives about a years protection from one application, although I do mine with about 10 coats every 3 months..... :)

Tom

·
Registered
53 Posts
It gives about a years protection from one application, although I do mine with about 10 coats every 3 months..... :)

Tom
:lol No wax can give a years worth of protection, even the latest Nano technologies struggle past 12 months.

10 coats? after 2 layers the solvents in the colly will start to strip the layers underneath so you won't get 10 layers on there, your just wasting wax.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.