BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first post here, have registered but never posted until now!

so i feel it's time to upgrade from my current e36 316i compact up to a faster car. going to wait till June (when I turn 23 = cheaper insurance :thumbsup)

I'm definitely sticking to BMW as it seems to be in my blood :D

I've always loved the looks of the 03-08 Z4. looking to at the 2.5 engine as it seems ok with it's economy and insurance.

also looking at the E46 330ci, but definitely looking at the Z4 as it's just a beautiful car, and something different.

will be using it mainly to go back and to to work and for some driving fun

what problems often occur on either of the models?

I've read a lot on removing the run flats off the Z4. most people do this, so I kind of guess that the majority of used cars may not have run flats on there.

look forward to some replies. cheers!:thumbsup

·
Registered
27 Posts
I can't comment on the Z4, but I can say if you're at all concerned about fuel economy, don't buy an E46 330Ci. OK so mine's the worst as it's a vert too but I consider myself lucky to see 18mpg on my daily drive.

Having said that, it's such a beautiful engine I forgive it everything as soon as I hear it sing and I remember I didn't buy it for fuel economy! :hihi

·
Banned
1,871 Posts
Two very different cars!!

I would think the E46 is a much better bet for commuting (depending on your journey!) and you could come down on engine size of economy is a consideration/

Z4 a much better fun car, but I wouldn't want to joust with 44 tonners in one on Britain's A roads every day! 2.5 a bit limp maybe?........

·
Registered
781 Posts
I had a 3 litre Z4 for two years and loved it. I averaged 30mpg most of the time but didn't do that much urban driving in it.

Weak points on a Z4 that I know of are the electric window regulators. They aren't very strong and are expensive to replace. If any car you look at makes any dodgy sounding noise (squeaking or juddering) as the windows go up and down then either walk away (there are plenty out there to choose from) or insist that the regulators are changed (or the cost of their replacement taken into account as part of the deal). Oh and beware of testing them when its wet as that will mask all the noise they make by reducing friction against the seal, check also that an unscrupulous seller hasn't just lubricated the seals with some lubricant, this is at best a very temporary fix.

Other than that my Z4 didn't put a foot wrong in two years, I'd still have it if we hadn't had children.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Why go for the 2.5 Z4, it has the same economy with 50 bhp less, it will also be harder to sell on.

Get the 3.0 Z4!!! I would have bought one if I could afford one, got a 330ci M Sport though

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
... if you're at all concerned about fuel economy, don't buy an E46 330Ci. OK so mine's the worst as it's a vert too but I consider myself lucky to see 18mpg on my daily drive.
Probably more to do with yours being an Auto than a Convertible - if you want economy avoid any BMW auto gearbox - whether on a 320d or a 330i (or anything in between).

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
i would buy a mint e36 m3 evo and watch it go up in value rather than the other two that dont really do it for me-sorry
already got an e36, would rather move up to a newer model.

really am spoilt for choice. really like the looks of both cars! looking round seems that the E46 330CI is half a second quicker to 60 than 2.5 Z4.

car will be mainly used for commuting to work on the by-pass. but with my job I could be moving from store to store in the future.

I think either car I go for I'll be happy with. a big factor for me could also be down to insurance costs. I've had a decent quote with admiral multi-car.

EDIT: Just seen a 330CI at a garage near mine. may go and have a nosey at that tomorrow. see if I can wrangle a test drive :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts