BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am selling my E60 and want to transfer the plate onto my next car. I have done this many times before, albeit the dealer did the paperwork. My question is though, if I were to part exchange with another car that has a cherished plate (something that I have come across with this week) is there a quick way to do this?

Clearly, each car would have its original plate put back on, tax disc change then would have to go through it all again when it had the new plate put on. When submitting two forms where both cars are simply swapping plates, is there a way that this can be done?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I am selling my E60 and want to transfer the plate onto my next car. I have done this many times before, albeit the dealer did the paperwork. My question is though, if I were to part exchange with another car that has a cherished plate (something that I have come across with this week) is there a quick way to do this?

Clearly, each car would have its original plate put back on, tax disc change then would have to go through it all again when it had the new plate put on. When submitting two forms where both cars are simply swapping plates, is there a way that this can be done?
Sorry but no :( dealers can do it same day but DVLA have stopped doing it, you now have to wait for the paper work to come back or put it on retension, i changed my plate 3 weeks ago.

I used to be able to goto the head DVLA office and they would change the MOT and tax disc for you but like I said before it now has to be sent away.

hth

disclaimer :)
I just put my new plates on my car when ever I buy a new one anyway, as long as you got the little white piece of paper showing the stamp from the DVLA I have never had an issue from the law with the tax disc being different although in theory you are commiting fraud.

They changed the rules when the new number plate issuing laws came into place 5 or so years ago, you now need the new yellow form you will be sent in the post, they say it can take up to 2 weeks but infact expect 5 days max.

Re-reading your orginal post, are you buying a car from a dealer? I cannot imagine a dealer having a used car on his lot with a private plate on it, normally the previous owner would have put it on retension to sell it as in theory the plate would belong to the dealer.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for advice. Not looking at a car from dealership, will most likely be private. I had a car lined up this weekend as PX (private) which had a private plate, hense my question. Dont want to put my plate on retention certificate until I have sold (dont know how long it will take to sell)

·
Platinum BFuk Member
760 Posts
In Bham you CAN do this same day, best advice, pick a day where you can both go down to the DVLA (near Bham airport - although there is one in Shrewsbury too)

Make sure you both have all relevant Docs and do all transfers there and then, for me that's the easiest way to do it. Good luck

·
Registered
146 Posts
In Bham you CAN do this same day, best advice, pick a day where you can both go down to the DVLA (near Bham airport - although there is one in Shrewsbury too)

Make sure you both have all relevant Docs and do all transfers there and then, for me that's the easiest way to do it. Good luck
How strange, they told me new rules means it has to be sent away, i always got my number plates done same day before these new rules.

I even owned both of the cars that were transfering plates.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Did it a couple of months back in Glasgow and it was all done on the spot. On my other car about a year earlier they sent it away. Seems random but more likely there's some subtlety in the process - some factor means they do extra checks (or they just do extra checks at random maybe)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Bristol (DVLA at Bradley Stoke) used to be same day you walk away with all new docs....
but i changed one 2008 and another in 2010 and both times it was "dont change anything until you get new docs in the post " but less than a week
it must vary from place to place i suppose

·
Registered
208 Posts
i find that DVLA should get to 21st century technology

i have a cherished plate on mine, and thinking of selling the car, but don't want to take the plate off for retention, as if it sells great, if not, then no biggy.

should be easier if you could head to an office, but no it's wait like up to a month they say!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I did mine in Glasgow last September and it was done via post , could not be done on the day. Maybe it depends on whether they are busy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts