BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody help with this one.
I am taking a car off the road to sell it but i want my number.
Do i take the number off then SORN the car or SORN the car then take the number off.
I need to put it on retention until i get the new car it's going on in my name.
Any idea what i should do.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Take the number plate off the car then place on sorn once you have the new V5

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The car that the number is on at the moment is in my name but up for sale shortly.
Car i want to put it on is not in my name yet.
I know i will have to put it on retention just don't know what to do first sorn the car and then take the number off or take the number off then sorn it.
Don't know how the road tax will work if you get what i mean.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I'd get it off the car asap. As you will want the new V5 with the original registration when you come to sell. May take a bit longer this time of year to get it back.

Tax is only refunded on full remaining months. So if you plan to sorn today. You will have to pay for all of December but cannot drive the car once on SORN

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Forum Chatbot
2,875 Posts
You may have difficulty with selling the car if its declared sorn as it will not be insured and therefore cannot take out for test drive. I think the car you are selling will need to be given another plate for the next buyer to insure?

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just decided to put it on retention online and it came back saying i had to do it by post.
The reason it said was it had a period of 90 days or more untaxed in the last 5 years ????????????? i have had it 5 years and always been taxed.
The car was taxed as Disabled for 4 years then last year it went as a "diesel car" at £250 a year and not due till next June.
So the form cheque for £80 and the v5 are in the post just have to wait until the new year now.
Also i have done the sorn.
Just hope i don't lose the number as had it for years and got the next one to it as well on the x5.
:confused

1 - 6 of 6 Posts