BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Banned
4,013 Posts
Definition of bias:

bi·as
   [bahy-uhs] noun, adjective, adverb, verb,bi·ased, bi·as·ing or (especially British) bi·assed, bi·as·sing.
–noun
an oblique or diagonal line of direction, esp. across a woven fabric.
a particular tendency or inclination, esp. one that prevents unprejudiced consideration of a question; prejudice.
Statistics. a systematic as opposed to a random distortion of a statistic as a result of sampling procedure.
Lawn Bowling.
a.
a slight bulge or greater weight on one side of the ball or bowl.
b.
the curved course made by such a ball when rolled.
Electronics. the application of a steady voltage or current to an active device, as a diode or transistor, to produce a desired mode of operation.
a high-frequency alternating current applied to the recording head of a tape recorder during recording in order to reduce distortion.
–adjective
cut, set, folded, etc., diagonally: This material requires a bias cut.
–adverb
in a diagonal manner; obliquely; slantingly: to cut material bias.
–verb (used with object)
to cause partiality or favoritism in (a person); influence, esp. unfairly: a tearful plea designed to bias the jury.
Electronics. to apply a steady voltage or current to (the input of an active device).
—Idiom
on the bias,
a.
in the diagonal direction of the cloth.
b.
out of line; slanting.

hahahahhaha :rofl

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I only ask as I have one I've had a few in the past and my Mrs has one, oh and I just bought another for my E30.

Maybe a bit over the top I know, but I like them so fook it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Like them

YES

or

NO
Yes and No. I have Cherished Numbers on my cars plus another currently on retention. The ones I have relate to me personally as they are my initials but the ones I don't like are those that relate to the car such as BMW330.

I have seen some clever ones such as COM1C (Jimmy Tarbuck) MAG1C (Paul Daniels) etc.

·
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Personally I like them refering to the car, it finishes the car off, I used to have my initials but let the plate go when I sold the car it was on, my Mrs has her initials on her car though.

Each to their own, even if it is wrong ;):thumbsup

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
I have been pottering around the latest DVLA auction over the past two days, just want any plate, non age related for the BMW. Three initals, 2/3 numbers will do me, only me in the car knows it doesn't mean anything. Going to bid on something tomorrow hopefully.

Got one on the Fiat, 500 TXK, Golf has one relating to the wife's initials, I quite like them :thumbsup

·
Registered
85 Posts
I quite like em' was lucky to have one on one of my bikes, would pay a fair bit if i can find the plate W41RU5 (my nickname has been walrus for years), might have to check out these DVLA auctions :)

·
Registered
6,636 Posts
I might have to check out these DVLA auctions :)
It's dead easy, register before the auction, you get a user name and password, log on and watch it all happen.

I have it running in my browser whilst working, I usually identify about 20 plates, watch them over the 3 days and hope (usually in vain) that a bargain will come up :thumbsup

·
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The one I just bought is relaited to my old BMW, the one on my M3 says M3, my Mrs has M5 and her initials (M5 for March 5th her birthday) and it looked good on my old M5 if it had ever been fitted on it, she wouldn't let me put it on my car, can't blame her as it was on her car at the time.

·
Platinum BFuk Member
760 Posts
I wouldn't mind 5M7TH7
I quite like em' was lucky to have one on one of my bikes, would pay a fair bit if i can find the plate W41RU5 (my nickname has been walrus for years), might have to check out these DVLA auctions :)
You'd both struggle to get those plates chaps, they would never be issued in that format...

Jimmy Tarbuck (COM 1C) lives just down the road from my old place of work, loved seeing that plate around, genius.

One of the band members of OASIS has S1 SAO so when you look at him in the rear view mirror it read OASIS - well, sort of!

I do think that private plates finish a car but for me the key is the less digits the better, not a fan of the new style plates as private plates unless it's a good one like MA61CAL or similar.

My dad has V8 and V6 then his initials on his motors, they look pretty good.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I can't make my mind up with private plate, sometimes I like them, sometimes I don't.
My dad had one on his car which he took off when he was going to sell the car, then never got round to selling the car so the plate just sits on retention year after year. I would have it off him for a bit just for fun (I wouldn't want to buy it!, probably about 5 times more than the car is worth lol) but it would look silly for exactly that reason.

·
Registered
50 Posts
i like em
have one on each car ... one on mine ive had since mid eighties, and everyone knows when i get a new car, one for the mrs has her name on it and i have one on retention..get the right one and it go up in value...:lol

1 - 20 of 40 Posts