BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone come across www.petrolprices.com before? You can see your cheapest petrol retailers in your area. :thumbsup

It may save you a little!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Yeah, I get weekly updates from it. It tends to be several days behind the times, but uniformly so, so it does provide a reasonable guide.

Not that I really care anymore, I always get my 45p LPG at the same one or two places! :D

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
45p a litre.....

id drive up and down the country for fun on that!

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does LPG help with performance? i'm just wondering whether this was just myth???

·
Registered
884 Posts
No, it doesn't help performance, although it doesn't really negatively affect it either if it's set up right. The main thing is the cost. Well, it's much greener too, but I don't give a toss about that! You get slightly less MPG too, but it doesn't come close to counteracting the money saving aspect.

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
definately, half price petrol almost is certainly the reward. i'll look into in methinks!

·
Registered
884 Posts
Get ready to do away with your boot space :hihi
Ah, big deal. Believe me, it's worth it. How often does the average punter use their boot anyway? I can still get 4-6 bags of shopping in mine, and I drive a Compact! Besides, there's always the back seats.

·
Registered
884 Posts
Well, sounds like if you sort one boot out, the other will take care of itself... :hihi

You're actually wasting quite a bit of fuel driving around with a boot full of junk, especially if it's tools. That's a lot of weight. Come to think of it, you'll be sacrificing a bit of performance too.

I never really thought about not doing the conversion because of the boot space issue, but after I got it done, I was surprised at how little space there was left, but I quickly realised it was enough for shopping, which is about all I ever really use it for.

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
id have to make sure the pushchair fitted in it, but as long as that fits, its a small price to pay in my opinion. How does it work with the spare wheel?

·
Registered
884 Posts
id have to make sure the pushchair fitted in it, but as long as that fits, its a small price to pay in my opinion. How does it work with the spare wheel?
If it's a spare wheel well you have, you can get a donut tank that goes in there, which just means carrying the spare in the boot. Those tanks are a little smaller though. Here is a thread from when I got my conversion done. My car uses a space saver for the spare, so I've got the full on boot tank. If you download the pics rather than viewing them in the browser, you can zoom right in.

I'm sure you could even have the boot set-up and still fit a pushchair in the boot of a 5 series anyway. The main thing you personally should consider is the age/mileage/condition of your car, and how long you plan to keep it. Are you gonna put enough miles on it to make the conversion worth the price?

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If it's a spare wheel well you have, you can get a donut tank that goes in there, which just means carrying the spare in the boot. Those tanks are a little smaller though. Here is a thread from when I got my conversion done. My car uses a space saver for the spare, so I've got the full on boot tank. If you download the pics rather than viewing them in the browser, you can zoom right in.

I'm sure you could even have the boot set-up and still fit a pushchair in the boot of a 5 series anyway. The main thing you personally should consider is the age/mileage/condition of your car, and how long you plan to keep it. Are you gonna put enough miles on it to make the conversion worth the price?
My car is a bit of a dog at the moment, various problems. But i do stick with cars and fix them up, ive had a reliant scimitar in the past, and spent £1500 fixing that up, until i sold it for £3200! mint it was. But since having kids ive had to be a little more practical with the choice of cars.

But LPG is somthing that i'd look into in the future for sure!

·
Registered
884 Posts
My car is a bit of a dog at the moment, various problems. But i do stick with cars and fix them up, ive had a reliant scimitar in the past, and spent £1500 fixing that up, until i sold it for £3200! mint it was. But since having kids ive had to be a little more practical with the choice of cars.

But LPG is somthing that i'd look into in the future for sure!
Yeah, I mean, it defo makes motoring more enjoyable knowing you're not getting severely taken to the cleaners by HMG every time you pull into a forecourt.

The other thing to consider is buying a car that's been converted already. They're always on eBay, just search BMW LPG. If you do that though, make sure you know what you're buying. I've heard bad stories about bodge jobs on LPG conversion, Check here for your research.

·
Banned
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Cheers for that link, :thumbsup

i have read some horror stories in the past in magazines, with bodge jobs! To be honest its horror stories that has really put me off it in the past! Sure, LPG pays for itself, but not when theres more holes in the system than swiss cheese!.... well it becomes a money pit.

I will do my research and when the time comes, i'll get it done by a company with good customer feedback! Petrol prices are lower now, but as soon as this credit crap is over, they'll inevitably climb again!

Cheers :thumbsup

1 - 17 of 17 Posts