BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

just come across this firm that does remaps for a special price of £199 as their normal price is £275!! Even their normal is cheaper then many remap places!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-DIESEL-REMAP-CHI...1QQcmdZViewItem

Very tempted to get me 320d upto 180bhp....but they are a new firm with no actual remap feedback.

However they got some customer reviews on their website and must admit their website looks well professional. they claim they use custom mapping and not generics, but i dont know sod all about remapping... so any questions i should put to them??

http://www.vx-tuning.co.uk/

They are also based not far from me in lincolnshire....so was thinkin how about a possible group remap...u never know we may even get it £150!!!! not that would be a bargain!!

Any advice / info appreciated!! and im serious about the group buy!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
The ebay link doesn't work.

Before you decide on getting a cheap remap, consider why its cheap! This may be of help to steer you clear of cheap mappers;
http://forums.t5d5.org/index.php?showtopic=5219

Also IIRC, there was a small team some time ago that offered to do a deal for members with Volvo's, remapping each customer's car for about £275. The maps turned out to be very poor and once the maps had been carried out there was no comeback.

BBRGti/Starchip generally do maps at reasonable prices http://www.morego.co.uk/products.php?product_category=2

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
BBR and BMW remaps DO NOT go together.

but a cheap remap would make me very suspicous.

Also, I have never heard of that place and I know pretty much ALL worthwhile BMW remappers.

They are not one of them.

As DSK says, a cheap remap is NOT cheap when your engine self destructs a few days later.

No group buy being led from here Im afraid, unless the company is proven.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have just swopped to a 2001 330d and was thinking of a remap, any suggestions of a reliable firm in West Yorkshire area.
I dont mind travelling a bit for someone who can be recommended and is well known for a quality job
cheers

Ian

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
BBR and BMW remaps DO NOT go together.

but a cheap remap would make me very suspicous.

Also, I have never heard of that place and I know pretty much ALL worthwhile BMW remappers.

They are not one of them.

As DSK says, a cheap remap is NOT cheap when your engine self destructs a few days later.

No group buy being led from here Im afraid, unless the company is proven.
i was looking for any comments about this firm but appears that anit any!!

However i do know a real good firm which has had EXCELLENT reviews (CNL REAPPING) but u looking around £325 as a group booking!!
let me know if u interested as im thinkin about getting it done!!

·
Registered
352 Posts
I have just swopped to a 2001 330d and was thinking of a remap, any suggestions of a reliable firm in West Yorkshire area.
I dont mind travelling a bit for someone who can be recommended and is well known for a quality job
cheers

Ian
Simon Coe get him on 07957 240 822 - Local agent for www.upsolute.com

I've used him for last 5 or 6 years - Good products and they know what they are doing.

He'll come to you or your work. Should get change from £300
and a whole different car after he's finished.

All BMW's get a custom map rather than a generic one. Your DDE software will be copied. Sent to Austria. Tweaked and put onto car.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Surely any tuning company worth their salt should rolling road the car before and after the map/tune. Not only to make sure the map/tune worked, but also to make sure the car runs correctly and smooth through the ranges.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I agree with Ray t on this one... when i got mine done they put it on the rollers first... then mapped it... then booked me in a couple of days later to come back and get it put back on the rolling road (apparently it can take a little while for the ECU to settle in the new map) they then ironed out any kinks to ensure a good power curve.

To be honest i felt alot more comfortable after it been back on the rollers :)
This is just my opinion and i know loads of people have had there cars mapped without have them rolling roaded and been very happy... so each to there own.. i just like having a before and after print out!!! sad ay! :embarrassed

·
Bimmerforums Central
8,030 Posts
Surely any tuning company worth their salt should rolling road the car before and after the map/tune. Not only to make sure the map/tune worked, but also to make sure the car runs correctly and smooth through the ranges.
Not if the map is one theyt have done a thousand times.

For example, a 330D is a car that some remappers who do BMWs will know backwards.

They may test drive it afterwards, but thats all thats needed

·
Authorised Bimmerforums UK Vendor
1,227 Posts
Not if the map is one theyt have done a thousand times.

For example, a 330D is a car that some remappers who do BMWs will know backwards.

They may test drive it afterwards, but thats all thats needed
wel said...

Not all car's need the Dyno.. Most Auto car's are a waste of time on the dyno etc...

We use a dyno for our R&D. Once we have a file that makes good number.. (may never be the bigget Hp guys out there) drive's well and after long team testing we then sell them on.. How ever a car with bolt on parts such a bigger turbo , FMIC etc etc.. would need a map for its self but you will pay more for this...

We take a read from the ECU this gives us a file with the car's H/W and S/W numbers etc. We take the tunning from the same car that we have had on the dyno and add it to the file we read out.. By flashing it back this way its your file with your ID etc... A lot of cheap re-mappers will just flash over the top of your file with any other file they can.. its a chaep way to do it.. Not good.

So they may be chaep but find out more about how they do it...

Hope that helps a little

Thanks Mike

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
usually thers an additional cost for using the rolling rd which can really boost up the costs!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Simon Coe get him on 07957 240 822 - Local agent for www.upsolute.com

I've used him for last 5 or 6 years - Good products and they know what they are doing.

He'll come to you or your work. Should get change from £300
and a whole different car after he's finished.

All BMW's get a custom map rather than a generic one. Your DDE software will be copied. Sent to Austria. Tweaked and put onto car.
i contacted him and said he could do it for under 300 and even more dependant on numbers and types of cars that need remapping!!

anyone interested?!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts