BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car's in the garage at the moment trying to find the reason why I keep loosing boost and getting a 3F57 charge air pressure controller fault code

I have noticed that I was getting fumes in the cabin when driving and had a look around the engine bay, I noticed moisture & bubbling from what i think is the Turbo charge air line - goes from intercooler to turbo and is half rubber and half metal - the metal bit has a rubber seal where it goes into the turbo

The seal has failed, garage can only source a genuine BMW complete pipe which is nearly £300

can these seals be purchased separately?

thanks chaps

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, meant to say I've just found the part once I typed the right search words in

Part number 1161 7801222-10 by the looks of it

just got to confirm it's the seal for definate with the mechanic in the morning and hopefully if's £20 for the seal as opposed to £300 for the pipele to get one for £60

Just found a few on ebay too so might be able to get one for £40-50

·
Registered
150 Posts
Updated part too, looks nothing like the original seal which was simply a round rubber one. This one is slightly more "sophisticated". In fact I had a hard time trying to understand how it fits lol.

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
What is so sophisticated with this seal? Turn the outer side around when installing then turn it back on the pipe when you have installed the inner lip. When you install it on the turbo first slide the sleeve over the seal and then install on turbo flange.

·
Registered
150 Posts
That's not the updated one.

1161-7-801-222-gasket-turbocharge-air-line.jpg

I did mention it didn't look like the previous part n°.

I found out that both ends would actually fit either the turbo output or the metal/rubber pipe. But eventually we got it sorted out.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Have you ever installed that part in particular ? It is the force required to install it properly in the turbo output that caused an hesitation on our behalf. Is it that much of a big deal to acknowledge that ?

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
Yes, I have installed that seal / boost pipe several times. I lightly coat the seal with brake cylinder paste so it glides easily on the turbo flange. No worries!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmmmm, I'm only getting the charge air pressure error code, which I can clear and most times it stays away till the next long journey

must check the MAP/MAF and vacuum pipes too then

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Charge air pressure controller 9.4.19.jpg

3F57 - Charge-air Pressure Controller

It's Vacuum

Basically I'll be driving down the motorway for example, put my foot down and no turbo, no warning light's, no boost, nothing, before I got the creator diagnostic tool I used to pullover, switch ignition off & on and the boost came back, sometimes the fault comes back other times it stays away. with the Creator tool my passenger can clear it while on the move, boost comes back instantly when it's cleared.

I've got a 2004 530d (sorry you asked in an earlier post and I didn't reply)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've had new seals on the charge air intake pipe fitted on Friday, both turbo end and intercooler end, not had any issues since but I haven't been on any long journeys so not a good indicator, got a few 100+ mile trips shortly so will be a good test - will report back.

I still think it's something else that's causing it though

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Seals not cured it, got an error yesterday on a long drive, reset and carried on but still there

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
maybe the selas in hose from intercooler to turbo..done both seals on my 335d and my 330d,,also aftermarket red boost hoses,,although th ]ey are different on each of my cars,,never got any dash lights though,,even after my 330d hose split,,,

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I changed the seals at both ends of charge air intake pipe, One at turbo and one at the intercooler

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
you are talking about the green o ring seal and the black o ring seal yeh ?which are pressure sealing rings,,the green seal has a groove cut into it..

1 - 20 of 31 Posts