BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any reason why I shouldn't change my tyre profile? Needing some new rear tyres and wanting the rainsport 3 but they don't seem to do my tyre size, 255/40/r18

They do a 255/35/r18 so wonder if I can use this instead?

·
Super Moderator
3,620 Posts
For F30 255/40R18 or 225/45R18 (rim width 7-8,5") are correct sizes.

255/35R18 would be 3,9% smaller in diameter when 2% is usually regarded the max deviance.

245/40R18 would be 1,2% smaller which should be OK.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Personally I wouldn't because I want the car to handle as intended. That said 1.2% is very little difference.
Why do you want rainsport por so much? there are plenty of very good tyres in those sizes. Don't buy into the "midrange" "premium" nonsense. Many midrange tyres are just as good and sometimes better than Pirelli and other heavily advertised brands.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just want them to match, I have rainsports on the front. They're only 120 each which is the same as I paid for my kumhos. I'd have had kumhos again but, when I came to renew my fronts they were no longer available so the rainsport was reccomended as they're similar value. But now I'm coming to do my rears I'm struggling to get a match again.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
ive had rainsport for years on 3 cars,,but just recently put khumo ps71 on my 335d,,decent enough tyre,,but on my 330d which has rainsport all round,,the rears will need changing ina couple of months,,so ive bought 2 nexen n fera su4,,255-35-18,,,couldnt believe the price..£66 each delivered,,but the company has since put the price up to £70,,i always go for A rated wet grip which all these tyres are,,rainsport are deffo the best in the wet though...and as said,,just go for the 245 tyre,,i used to run 225/40-18 all round on my e46 330d

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ive had rainsport for years on 3 cars,,but just recently put khumo ps71 on my 335d,,decent enough tyre,,but on my 330d which has rainsport all round,,the rears will need changing ina couple of months,,so ive bought 2 nexen n fera su4,,255-35-18,,,couldnt believe the price..£66 each delivered,,but the company has since put the price up to £70,,i always go for A rated wet grip which all these tyres are,,rainsport are deffo the best in the wet though...and as said,,just go for the 245 tyre,,i used to run 225/40-18 all round on my e46 330d
How many miles have you had out the rainsports? My kumhos lasted about 9-10k miles.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well because I'm stupid and as I always do, wait till my tyres are illegal before changing them. I don't have the time to order tyres in and get them fitted, I've booked in for Wednesday and getting some pilot sport 4's fitted. With current discount codes I'm getting 4 fitted for £571 which works out at 142 each corner which isn't bad and I get a free dashcam. Next time I'm due I hope I forward plan enough to order some in ?

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
How many miles have you had out the rainsports? My kumhos lasted about 9-10k miles.
i pout them on my e46 and they lasted around 8-9mk miles,,on my e90 330d put on around 124k miles,,car is on 131k miles and i think they have a good 3-4 months left around 3 k miles...already had them on my 335d when i bought it so couldnt say..when i had them on my focus st they lasted 7 k miles on the front

·
Registered
206 Posts
I just want them to match, I have rainsports on the front. They're only 120 each which is the same as I paid for my kumhos. I'd have had kumhos again but, when I came to renew my fronts they were no longer available so the rainsport was reccomended as they're similar value. But now I'm coming to do my rears I'm struggling to get a match again.
Fair enough!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I’m on Yokahoma Advan, non run flats and 10mm wider than stock all round. They’re directional which is harder and more expensive to make but helps with shifting water which we are often blessed with in this country. Plus they look cooler.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts