BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can changing alloys from 225/45/17 to 225/50/17 be done on a 1 series 116d 2 litre sport e81? What’s the difference between the wheels and would this cause an mot failure or not?

Answers would be great thanks

·
Registered
845 Posts
I’m guessing you mean just the tyres rather than the alloys?

In theory I can’t see why not. But why would you want to do that?

225/45/17 is a very standard size so tyres will be cheaper and more brand choice available. Is ride comfort the problem? If so, are you currently on runflats?

I think a bit more information might be useful as to what is the problem you’re experiencing and why you are looking to change sizes. That way you might be able to get a better response.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Na, the whole lot mate I curbed my alloys quite bad and seen some alloys on gumtree at £80 set of 4 good condition with tyres. Also they look nicer than mine

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’m guessing you mean just the tyres rather than the alloys?

In theory I can’t see why not. But why would you want to do that?

225/45/17 is a very standard size so tyres will be cheaper and more brand choice available. Is ride comfort the problem? If so, are you currently on runflats?

I think a bit more information might be useful as to what is the problem you’re experiencing and why you are looking to change sizes. That way you might be able to get a better response.
I haven’t a problem as I haven’t changed them just wanting to know would it work or would it mess up speedo etc

But it’s the whole alloy and tyre being changed, because mine are curbed and these are very cheap

·
Registered
485 Posts
225/50s have a taller tyre wall than 45s so you're increasing the rolling radius of your wheels. This will increase the overall gearing of your car and make the Speedo read under. It's not insignificant either, the wheels and tyres will have a diameter 2cm bigger.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
225/50s have a taller tyre wall than 45s so you're increasing the rolling radius of your wheels. This will increase the overall gearing of your car and make the Speedo read under. It's not insignificant either, the wheels and tyres will have a diameter 2cm bigger.
Would this cause any problems with the car? Or MOT in future. Is this even legal as it’s affecting the speedo reading or would I not even notice the difference with the speedo

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
I would go with them but run a sat-nav to see how much the speed is out so you know where you are up to if you get what i am saying.
The speed might show 50 and the sat-nav 40 so you know it over reading by 10mph you then don't need the sat-nav.
MOT as long as they are the same size you won't have a problem.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Would this cause any problems with the car? Or MOT in future. Is this even legal as it’s affecting the speedo reading or would I not even notice the difference with the speedo
You will probably notice a difference in the Speedo, the car might also feel a little slower.
The other issue for me would be that if the tyre size is wrong for your car it could also invalidate your insurance. They would probably never find out but that's the chance you take.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Tyres may not be the biggest issue

What are the widths and offsets of the new wheels?

:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts