BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cd changer in my E39 M5 is dead. The one I have fitted is Model No. 65.12-B 361 584 if that means anything to anyone.

Im just looking for a straight drop in replacement but am not wanting my pants pulled down by BMW service, can anyone recommend a new cd changer for me please.

p.s. My car has that DSP thing if that makes a difference.

Cheers
Mark

·
Registered
880 Posts
Couple of options :

1) New BMW CD Changer, no additional components required, about £250 from a dealer. Make sure it's made after September 2005, dealers can cary quite old stock and might fob you off with an old one.

2) A third party CD Changer, but you'll need 2 interfaces, one for control and one for Audio. Somthing like the Alpine CHA-S634 (about £150) is pysically the same size as the OEM changer, so you can use the same brackets. You'll need the A-D converter as outlined above (say £75 including p&p) and some other form of control interface.

There are 2 basic options as the CHA-S634 can work in one of two modes :

- M-Bus mode. Simple Adapter from the likes of SoundGate or Connects2 (about £50), you also need a KCA-130b (£12). You'll get no text display and no folder browsing (just like the OEM changer), but the total cost is nearly £300.

- Ai-Net mode. Only the Intravee (£145) will work in this mode, will give you Folder browsing and text display, very nice on the Nav monitor if you have it. But the total is £375.

3) Forget CD's and go for an iPod interface instead, lots of options, but you'll need that A-D converter. Something like the Gateway 100 is about £100, so £175 in all plus iPod. The Intravee will drive the KCA-420i (£50), so about £275 plus iPod, but much better control/display if you have Nav.

·
Registered
880 Posts
Yes, post September 2005 will play MP3's, but with your radio hardwear it will just look like one big CD with lots of tracks on. When the track number gets to 99 it will wrap round, so track 156 will just show as 56. You'll probably find that FF/RW is very slow too, but other than that it should be just fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.