BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi all thought i would make a new thread to save confusion, have been trawling the net for the castrol slx 0w-30 and have found it but not in a any local stores available for pick up as they seem to all have castrol edge, from what i can find the edge is the newer version of the slx so i was wondering if i could use the edge and it will be pretty much the same as the slx? on my last post(about 2 down) was that i found the slx for 8 pound delivered but having looked at my dipstick i really cant wait the 6-8 days for delivery but as i say i cant find slx even in halfords they only have the edge,so would putting edge in be worse for my bimmer than using the slx?
any advice would be greatly appreciated, never had to top up my oil in my last 3 bimmers so normally it just waits for the service
cheers
dan

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I presume you need oil to BMW 'LL01' specification. It says so on the back of the bottle in very small print usually. As long as it matches the spec you are fine.

They both come/came in various different guises - the castrol web site gives you the gen. Edge 0W30 is certainly LL01. There's an oil guide in the stickies that worth a read. ...and try Asda :)

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
excuse my ignorance - but is this the same oil for all Bavarians (Petrol & Diesel) ?

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
No... BMW had (at least) a two different oil specifications - LL01 and LL04 - you need to know for your car (the links in sticky oil forum will help). For example, my E38 is LL01 and my (diesel) X3 is LL04. Which is inconvenient. That's "gold" Mobil 1 and "green" Mobil 1 to me :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts