BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Vendor
4,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

Carthrottle.com
Can A BMW E46 330d Keep Up With An E92 M3 On Track?

If anyone has been watching carthrottle on YouTube with Alex Kersten (autoalex)

You will know that they have been modifying a 2005 manual 330d named Gareth to prove it can beat the lap time of a E90 M3 on track

Project E46 330d CarThrottle on you tube

Well today I managed to get my hands on it

The engine only mods it has to date are

Hybrid turbo by Turbo Dynamics
Decat
Race clutch and flywheel
AC been removed
Race Chip diesel tuning box
(Standard intercooler fitted)

We 1st dyno tested the car as it was from series 1 episode 7

This had a Race Chip diesel tuning box on it which we dyno tested then removed

Then we dyno tested it without the diesel tuning box so we had a base figure to start with

We could then see what the difference the Race Chip diesel tuning box made to the car

We then set about tuning the car on our in house Dyno Dynamics rolling

Once we where happy with the many calibrations we made to the cars engine ecu software and all the dyno testing was completed

We then let AutoAlex test drive the car

Series 1 episode 8 will be fitting the turbo dynamics turbo and our remap on the dyno

Testing on the track will be tomorrow and in series 1 episode 9

BW chiptune
Tuning BMWs since 1991
Dyno Dynamics rolling road.
BW autorepairs
Over 30 year repairing BMWs.
New and fully refurbished BMW/Alpina ,Ecus (DME,DDE)and Cas units.
BMW Ecu repairs.
BMW remote Keys made and cut same day with or without car even if all keys lost we can supply you a key like the dealers do.
Key data fixed for non starters or when theft attempted.
Correction of Engine ECUs Cas and key fitted to your car (when a key set from a different car has been used).
Digital Service Records rest and corrections in idrive screen on 2013 onwards cars.
DPF repairs fixed without the need of removal of its guts or replacement.
40% of my work is repairing the problems that are caused by other tuners remap

For more info look in our section under sponsors on this forum

0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Hayes
UB3 1BB

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
look forward to that,,i could hang on to the tail of an e46 m3 when we were in gear ie 2nd-3rd-4th etc,,but mine was e46 330d 6 speed .mapped to 270 bhp and i doubt the m3 had any mods that would lead to a big gain in bhp...as i know they are harder to get unless fitting a ss

·
Vendor
4,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's all in the torque

E90 m3 DCT ess supercharger
I have one

BW chiptune
Tuning BMWs since 1991
BW autorepairs
BMW Ecu repairs.
BMW remote Keys made and cut same day with or without car even if all keys lost we can supply you a key like the dealers do.
Correction of Engine ECUs Cas and key fitted to your car (when a key set from a different car has been used).
Digital Service Records rest and corrections in idrive screen on 2013 onwards cars.

0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Hayes
UB3 1BB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
yeh it is,,but bhp also,,i had a play with an m5 65 plate in my e90 330d 305 bhp and a claimed 698 nm..i probably have the same or more torque,,but inngear he came by me,,not quickly though,,but6 quick enough,,this was in 4th gear where my car is best..i didnt know it was an m5 till he got past me,,seen quad pipes and badge,, and i nice exhaust note

·
4,567 Posts
I've been following this series on YouTube. Entertaining stuff, although I think the chap driving the M3 could of pushed his lap time harder...

I think it would of been a more accurate test if Alex had set the M3 lap time himself as he now has much more experience on that track than the M3 owner did...

·
Vendor
4,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

This is what we ended up with
302bhp 490 lbs/ft of torque

84bhp extra
184lbs/ft extra

BW chiptune
Tuning BMWs since 1991
BW autorepairs
BMW Ecu repairs.

0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Hayes
UB3 1BB

·
Vendor
4,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
289 Posts
I watched this series and was most impressed that the E46 rear subframe has apparently held up to 490lb/ft and extended track use without any reinforcement mods!
Considering they are known to tear out even on daily drivers with less than half the torque figure, surely it won't last.... ? Or did the late model E46s had this problem properly addressed?

I found the series quite entertaining to watch. Can't take the "faster than an E92 M3" claim seriously though. Alex must have driven round that circuit 100 times and with £7k spent in mods they need to stop trying to justify the lack or proper timing gear. Still, fun viewing if perhaps a little biased.

·
Vendor
4,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They will be using my race logic gps tester in the new series when they drag race and use the car on a bigger track so we can tune it for more power

It was the E46 m3 and converts that had the problems with the rear subframe mountings

BW chiptune
Tuning BMWs since 1991
BW autorepairs
BMW Ecu repairs.

UK
0208 561 1818
07831 103030
Hayes
UB3 1BB

or

Spain
Orihuela Costa
+447831103030

·
Registered
481 Posts
Can't take the "faster than an E92 M3" claim seriously though. Alex must have driven round that circuit 100 times and with £7k spent in mods they need to stop trying to justify the lack or proper timing gear. Still, fun viewing if perhaps a little biased.
I'd have more time for something like this if they were starting with a completely different and much slower car in the first place. Throw enough money at an old 3 series and you can make it as fast as a new 3 series...?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts