BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
CarSoft + USB Converters? [Fixed!]

Does anyone have any input on using carsoft/serial connection box supplied with kits in conjunction with a serial > usb converter so I can use with newer laptops?

I've come across reports that some of the functionality in CarSoft isn't available if a USB converter is used, first hand experience is always a bonus :thumbsup

·
Administrator
4,221 Posts
It can work but adds an extra level of complexity to an already hit-and-miss process. Some sellers just say it doesn't work full stop.

Saying that I have used it fine using a USB converter and know others who do as well. IIRC you just assign it a comm port in device manager.

The pcmia cards to USB adapters are meant to be more reliable.

Getting it working maybe a frustrating process! If you don't have the patience/don't want to take the risk how about a Peake code reader?

If you do go for it, post back and I'll dig out details of what USB converter I have seen used.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It can work but adds an extra level of complexity to an already hit-and-miss process. Some sellers just say it doesn't work full stop.

Saying that I have used it fine using a USB converter and know others who do as well. IIRC you just assign it a comm port in device manager.

The pcmia cards to USB adapters are meant to be more reliable.

Getting it working maybe a frustrating process! If you don't have the patience/don't want to take the risk how about a Peake code reader?

If you do go for it, post back and I'll dig out details of what USB converter I have seen used.
Sounds like it's worth a go then! I found an amazon seller with a good rep selling the adaptors for £6 a pop so I thought there'd be little risk in trying it out and reporting back :)

Shame is my laptop is a MacBook (dual booting XP) - no pcmia cards for me!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the converter came through in the post (was about 6 quid + free postage, cheers amazon seller!) - I've added a screenshot of the results :)

Running CarSoft in a Parallels for Mac session using the USB converter - thought I'd push the boat out on this one to see how much I could get away with!

Unless I'm missing some modules (not sure on that front - comments?), I'd say we have a success using Serial > USB + Mac + XP Virtual Machine (just in case anyone has a macbook they wanna use!!)

·
Administrator
4,221 Posts
Well the converter came through in the post (was about 6 quid + free postage, cheers amazon seller!) - I've added a screenshot of the results :)

Running CarSoft in a Parallels for Mac session using the USB converter - thought I'd push the boat out on this one to see how much I could get away with!

Unless I'm missing some modules (not sure on that front - comments?), I'd say we have a success using Serial > USB + Mac + XP Virtual Machine (just in case anyone has a macbook they wanna use!!)
Missed that you had updated the thread, thanks for that.

Lol, you're a loon. I am impressed with your tinkering and how you like to make life difficult for yourself so will resist from labelling you as another smug mac user! I'm the same running it on Vista via usb.

It looks like all the modules you have are responding. Even if there are some missing, you have all you need :thumbsup

·
Registered
3 Posts
i tried it with my usb setup (ive been using pro scan) but it only works with com 1 - 4

so i guess all you have to do is change the com port in control panel but i couldnt be arsed ill try it later

·
Registered
33 Posts
Just to add in Keyspan usb to serial adapters seem to be about the best out their for compatibility and have car soft working fine with one. But if you got one working at it was £6 then all the better.

Chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.