BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently sitting in my 630i and she won't start. Electrics all come on and no faults showing, but when I press start, not much apart from the lights and fan starts.
Starter motor failure?
Problem is, where to get it towed, at this time of year? I'm allowed a single tow on my GreenFlag breakdown policy.
Any BMW maintenance types in Bradford, West Yorkshire?
Or general advice?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I keep her on a battery tender through the week, so a low battery can't be it I don't think. Tried starting in neutral, but no dice.

I'm wondering if the starter motor has failed?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Starter motor

I had a starter motor failure on 2012 BMW 116i F20 a couple of months ago. It has the auto stop start function. Stopped at traffic lights and then would not start. Even trying to start manually with starter button and absolutely nothing. No rotation at all. It showed some (apparently) unrelated faults on the dashboard.

Once I had it towed home and I cleared those messages it came back with the fault: "Fault engine starting, during starter operation:no speed on activation". I removed the starter motor and inspected - as suspected it had stopped and started at traffic lights so many times that the brushes in the starter motor had worn down to stubs. So I replaced the brushes and now good as new. I now turn off the auto stop start function whenever I drive it.

Cheap, easy repair if you are a DIYer. Cost was $40 for parts from Automotive Supplies Group New Zealand. I'm sure you could get some closer to home though!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts