BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
I know it sounds stupid, but is it OK to put my 320i that has the boot spoiler on, through the car wash, is it safe to do so?

I don't want to damage the car.

The reason I ask is, that I have a health problem, so I can't wash the car by hand. :mad

·
Legendary BFuk Member
12,959 Posts
I think you will find that all of our members will advise against this as there are many horror stories of them damaging the paint:mad

Nothing beats a bucket and sponge:thumbsup

·
Legendary BFuk Member +1
1,138 Posts
second that...evn if you cant wash it yourself...try and find sum1 who will bucket an sponge it....up here the are a few guys in industrial estates who do this...a do i myself and dry and polish it...got it jetwashd once....the guy was inches away from my paintwork!!!totally panted it!!never again..

·
Uber Platinum BFuk Member
868 Posts
I certainly wouldn't put my BM through an automatic car wash although if they are of a good quality and correctly adjusted they normally do not cause damage. Modern car paints are incredibly resilient.

With good hand car wash stations offering service below £5 the best option is to find a really conscientious one, i.e. one that wash all stones and grit out of their sponges between each wash, or failing that, one that only use pressure washers (careful with those tho). Just ask to feel their sponges before they start - if they are gritty or dirty your car will get scratches.

I tend to identify a good one and then tip the workers for a job well done. That way they remember me and I often get brand new sponges...:thumbsup

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All noted on the paint getting marked. The paint work on this car is not great to begin with.

Putting aside the damage it could cause to the paint. Will the boot spoiler withstand going through a car wash?
It's the same spoiler as in A20 RYM's picture.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yes it should withstand it, i'm sure its afixed properly and lots of people with spoilers (usually on Corsa's) go through the car wash and they are fine.

However if your in doubt and you have a car you care for then you should really be giving it a wash by hand.

·
Registered
81 Posts
i wouldnt go through one, my mate went through one a couple of weeks ago in his peugeot 306, it snapped his spoiler clean off.. there is plenty of hand car washes about normaly old petrol stations, you can get it done for about £5 and have your tyres shined too!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.